Clunk and not starting

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

skinnyman
Apprentice Bongonaut

Clunk and not starting

Post by skinnyman » Tue May 14, 2019 6:55 pm

Hi all.
Had my Bongo (2.5TD 1995 4WD auto) a couple of years now and it has pretty much always started and ran great. I had to leave it sat static for the last few months though and the battery went flat so it wouldn't start.

It has only gone flat one other time and then a quick jump start sorted it - but not this time. The battery didn't seem to be holding charge so I replaced it.

That helped and each time I turned the key afterwards the dash lights came on and I got a single clunk but nothing more. That sounded like a starter motor problem so I swapped it out for another from eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FITS-MAZDA-B ... SwYIxX2Tdx

That didn't make any difference and I still have the same problem. I've tried starting in Park and Neutral but no difference. I know the clunk is coming from the starter motor because if I place my hand on it when turning the key I can feel the clunk as it happens.

I've seen posts on here about relays, filters and inhibitor switches causing starting issues but not sure what I should be looking at next. Any thoughts?

Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Clunk and not starting

Post by Bob » Tue May 14, 2019 7:08 pm

Immediate thought is a flat battery.

Is the replacement new, have you charged it?

I'd certainly try jump leads or a booster pack before looking further. :wink:

Good luck.
skinnyman
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by skinnyman » Wed May 15, 2019 9:01 am

Thanks Bob.

Yes, replacement battery is brand new and charged. Tried jump leads too but still the same - a single clunk then nothing. :?

The inhibitor switch sounds plausible as it doesn't even try to turn over so I guess I'll start with that.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed May 15, 2019 11:05 am

Before you bankrupt yourself I would disconnect the battery then make sure " manually " that the engine does in fact Turn.

Take care
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Thu May 16, 2019 2:06 pm

I'd replace the starter motor solenoid. There are two types depending on if you have the winter pack or not but both are replaceable. Symptoms of a failed solenoid are a clunk on turning the key but the motor not spinning.
You have to remove the starter motor to replace the solenoid (you can just about replace the solenoid without removing the starter if you have the more powerful starter that comes with the winter pack) so you could check if the starter spins off the vehicle.
Cost is around £30 ish
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu May 16, 2019 2:27 pm

Tony x wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:06 pm I'd replace the starter motor solenoid. There are two types depending on if you have the winter pack or not but both are replaceable. Symptoms of a failed solenoid are a clunk on turning the key but the motor not spinning.
You have to remove the starter motor to replace the solenoid (you can just about replace the solenoid without removing the starter if you have the more powerful starter that comes with the winter pack) so you could check if the starter spins off the vehicle.
Cost is around £30 ish

The OP,has changed the starter motor …

That helped and each time I turned the key afterwards the dash lights came on and I got a single clunk but nothing more. That sounded like a starter motor problem so I swapped it out for another from eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FITS-MAZDA-B ... SwYIxX2Tdx

That didn't make any difference and I still have the same problem. I've tried starting in Park and Neutral but no difference. I know the clunk is coming from the starter motor because if I place my hand on it when turning the key I can feel the clunk as it happens.
jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:41 pm

Had something similar in an old Triumph Stag - turned out the starter ring on the flywheel had damaged teeth so the starter gear could not engage properly when the solenoid operates. You could try turning the engine over a bit by hand and see if the starter then engages. Also might be worth taking the starter motor off and have a look into the hole to see the starter ring is OK
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri May 17, 2019 8:10 am

jimmo62 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:41 pm Had something similar in an old Triumph Stag - turned out the starter ring on the flywheel had damaged teeth so the starter gear could not engage properly when the solenoid operates. You could try turning the engine over a bit by hand and see if the starter then engages. Also might be worth taking the starter motor off and have a look into the hole to see the starter ring is OK

You can check the Ring gear without taking the starter motor off,just remove the cover inside the cab at the rear of the engine.
skinnyman
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by skinnyman » Wed May 29, 2019 1:26 pm

Thanks all.

We've tried turning the engine manually and doesn't seem jammed at all. We're going to have another go though.

One other thing in the meantime, if we put it in any gear other than Park then we can still push it back and forth easily just like we can when it is in neutral - would that be expected? We'd assumed that with it in one of the drive gears we wouldn't be able to move it?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 29, 2019 1:56 pm

The autogearbox uses oil pressure (from its internal pump) to actuate the various clutches and controls, so without the engine running to power the oil pump nothing will operate so it will stay "movable" in Park then the parking pawl locks the output shaft in place, but don't rely on that always use the handbrake as well!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:46 pm

skinnyman wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:26 pm Thanks all.

We've tried turning the engine manually and doesn't seem jammed at all. We're going to have another go though.

One other thing in the meantime, if we put it in any gear other than Park then we can still push it back and forth easily just like we can when it is in neutral - would that be expected? We'd assumed that with it in one of the drive gears we wouldn't be able to move it?
You can not check if the engine is rotating by this method as the box is not in gear,is this the method you are using to determine that the engine is turning? You need to physically turn the engine.

Return to “Techie Stuff”