5w40 TripleQX FULL SYNTH £14.99 for 5L

Spotted something Bongo related that you think others might be interested in? Then post the details here.....

Moderator: Ian

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

5w40 TripleQX FULL SYNTH £14.99 for 5L

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:58 am

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Engine-O ... ctupt=true

I think it was Helen and Tony who mentioned they use 5w 40 (I think they live on colder climes) so for this winter
season going to put 5w 40 in there, great value for 10L of fully synth oil.

I have quite a collection of bargain oils here. Put Shell Helix 10w40 in there recently for this summer season.
There are loads of oil bargains on ebay many of them from Europarts or Carparts4less.

I think the Triple QX must be good stuff as we would have heard about it by now. I steer clear of the expensive brands
these days because of this (and now doing 6 monthly oil changes) and buy when on offer.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: 5w40 TripleQX FULL SYNTH £14.99 for 5L

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:50 am

BongoBongo123 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:58 am https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Engine-O ... ctupt=true

I think it was Helen and Tony who mentioned they use 5w 40 (I think they live on colder climes) so for this winter
season going to put 5w 40 in there, great value for 10L of fully synth oil.

I have quite a collection of bargain oils here. Put Shell Helix 10w40 in there recently for this summer season.
There are loads of oil bargains on ebay many of them from Europarts or Carparts4less.

I think the Triple QX must be good stuff as we would have heard about it by now. I steer clear of the expensive brands
these days because of this (and now doing 6 monthly oil changes) and buy when on offer.
Good spot bb123. I like to use 5w at bottom end viscosity as reckon it should be a better choice if/when doing short runs from cold. And 40w top end seems ideal for covering hot situations. I usually have to settle for 5/30 but seeing this, i might give it a go. Anyone else got any thoughts/cautions?
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:42 pm

I've used it in the past and not had problems (although you can never really tell what oil gets up to as it lurks around inside the engine)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:13 am

One great thing going for it, is it is fully synth which in theory should give better protection much longer and much more durable whizzing around your turbo. Also Bongo shops sell it as well albeit the 10W 40 semi synth grade.

Cue the pub bore :lol: :

You are right it is impossible to tell what any oil is doing (even very expensive oil). Last oil I had in for 6 months was as cheap as you can get £21.50 for 10L I paid. (although it has gone up a bit now) Mannol Defender 10w 40 (German owned but possible made in Lithuania), seemed fine. If anything when I put Shell Helix 10w 40 semi synth in which seems to have a less good rating according to this tester guy the engine is noisier but that may be cause I cleaned some grime/grease around the seat seal and it might be letting a bit of noise through. I will rub some Gummi Plfege stick round it and see if it seals off.

Here are some stats off the document for ease (long doc with 100's of oils on)
there are 3 test figures shown on the doc but I show just 2

Mannol defender 10w 40 0.04 / 0.01
Shell helix 10w 40 0.12 / 0.18
Triple QX 5w30 0.07 / 0.10
Magnatec 10w40 0.05 / 0.10

Lower is better.

FWIW MANNOL has a very good rating from this Polish independent hobby tester:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

This video gives an idea of his testing methodology.. it is hardly scientific but better than nothing I suppose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhQGS65eG00

Triple QX 5w 30 seems good to so I don't see why the fully synth 5w 40 would not be.

In lieu of 2 identical engines running the same with 2 oils in and then measuring critical component wear it is impossible.
So I will use all types of oils at good prices every 6 months. This will cover it all.

You don't have to get only 5w/30 Mike I always get my oil off eBay and it is A Ok. The Triple QX
comes from Europarts. Their name would be dirt if they were selling duff oil.

Return to “Bargains!”