No power at the starter motor solenoid

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Mystery Machine
Apprentice Bongonaut

No power at the starter motor solenoid

Post by Mystery Machine » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:47 pm

Hello everyone, first post so here we go.
The problem I have is I am getting no power at the starter motors solenoid, which i've tested with a multimeter. It is an intermittent fault the Bongo starts fine most the time only when we are not at home it seems also batteries are all good with good connections. When i turn the key there is absolutely nothing, no clicking, just nothing. Now if I link out the starter motor supply and relay spade on the starter its starts as is should. Does anyone know where the supply to the solenoid comes from, either relay or sensor that may be faulty or may have a bad connection. I have a 2.5 Diesel 95 Bongo.
I've found others who have had this problem on here but no one reposts with they have sussed it.

Thanks everyone in advance.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: No power at the starter motor solenoid

Post by Bob » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:06 pm

The mechanical link from the gear selector to the ignition key switch can go out of adjustment, might be worth jiggling the selector a little while the key is turned.

I'm assuming you're in Park with foot on the brake. :wink:

And welcome aboard. 8)
Mystery Machine
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Mystery Machine » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply and for pointing me in the right direction it is very much appreciated. What i've found is the Bongo doesn't start if the steering wheel column is at its normal height but start fine if I drop the column down. So obviously a dodgy connection somewhere behind the steering column.
Do I need to remove the steering wheel to be able to remove the column covering?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:46 pm

Pretty sure you don't need to. :wink:
Mystery Machine
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Mystery Machine » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:02 pm

I managed to remove the steering column cowl with just removing the three screws underneath, it then simply splits in two.
I think I've sorted it there is a plug to the bottom left corner behind the steering wheel behind the steering wheel column cowl. I simply disconnected and reconnected and it seems to be starting fine. I will report back if this hasn't cured it. I think all the driving around Wales last week has jigged it all about.

Thanks again.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:23 pm

Nice one. =D>

Return to “Bongo Chat”