Windscreen and rear wiper - help needed

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Samanual
Apprentice Bongonaut

Windscreen and rear wiper - help needed

Post by Samanual » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:56 am

Hello everyone,

Sam here, a new bongo owner who’s keen to get to know my way around the van. The bongo is my first car so I don’t have much experience. Regardless I’m pretty handy and keen to learn.

Apologies if I’m posting in the wrong place place here but firstly I’m looking for advice on a new windscreen. I’ve got a crack creeping up from the bottom RHS. Previous topics on the forum seem to say that people have gone through insurance with Autoglass, bought and fitted using a dealer or bought second hand. What do people recommend?

Secondly, the rear wiper isn’t working although the screen wash is. Is it a job I should avoid or one i should look into myself?

Cheers, Sam
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Windscreen and rear wiper - help needed

Post by Bob » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:00 am

Hi, and welcome. 8)

Can't advise on windscreen replacement, but the most likely cause of the rear wiper failing is a break in the loom where it passes from the body to the tailgate.

Opening and closing causes the wires to 'work harden' and break.

Also common where it passes into the driver's door, causing failure of central locking and window operation.

Fairly simple to strip back to clean wire and solder in a short length to make good, heat shrink tidies things up. :wink:
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:40 pm

Along with being 'pretty handy and keen to learn' you must also be very bright, having bought a Bongo as your first vehicle.

Welcome :)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:51 pm

With regard to the windscreen check your insurance first! If its covered then there is not normally any reason not go thru that route, there will be an excess charge to pay no doubt but its a lot less than trying to buy it and have it installed by other routes.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Samanual
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Samanual » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:18 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for the kind replies! Good shout Bob, the window is problematic. I’ll try and do as you say this weekend.

As for insurance, I only have third party, f & t so I’m not sure I can go down that route. I’ll have a look though :)

Cheers,
Sam
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:52 am

Samanual wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:18 pm Hi everyone, thanks for the kind replies! Good shout Bob, the window is problematic. I’ll try and do as you say this weekend.

As for insurance, I only have third party, f & t so I’m not sure I can go down that route. I’ll have a look though :)

Cheers,
Sam
Windscreen cover will not be included on a third party policy, as this type of policy does not cover damage to your vehicle.

Return to “Techie Stuff”