Insurance Write-off Vs Repair - HELP!

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

ridethemarch
Apprentice Bongonaut

Insurance Write-off Vs Repair - HELP!

Post by ridethemarch » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:52 am

Hi,

I had my beloved Bongo stolen from my driveway 3 weeks ago (at 10pm at night while I watched TV just a few feet away). It was found several hours later - it had been taken on a joyride and dumped. Unfortunately the little *%!*$ who stole it (I am imaging it to be kids but don't know of course), decided they would smash it up before they dumped it.

They did a really good job of smashing the rear and two of the drivers side windows. They also damaged the central locking system as they used a screwdriver to take the barrel of the drivers lock out and break in that way. Also, they damaged the ignition barrel as they used a screwdriver to start the vehicle when they stole it.

Due to the age of the Bongo (1999), my insurance company wants to write it off. I am wondering about potentially buying it back and getting it repaired.
Has this happened to anyone before? Has anyone tried to repair a Bongo that was in this condition and how easy and expensive was it to find parts and to find a garage that was able to fit it?

I am totally clueless as have never had to do anything like this before - help and advice needed!

Many thanks.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Insurance Write-off Vs Repair - HELP!

Post by Bob » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:03 am

Welcome aboard, and I'm really sorry to hear of your rotten luck. :(

If you give us a rough location someone may be able to suggest a garage who can give an idea of cost.

Bear in mind when you come to sell Bongy will have a lower value due to having been written off. :(
ridethemarch
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by ridethemarch » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:22 am

Thanks Bob,

I don't plan to sell so that's not too much of a problem - was aiming to keep it going till it has no more go left in it!

I'm in Gloucestershire but the Bongo is currently in Pontypridd South Wales (where the insurance company towed it to).
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:03 pm

Unless you are clued up on motor repairs I would take the money (value of vehicle ) and buy another vehicle. The problem with stolen vehicles is the fact that you don't know the full extent of any hidden damage, the Insurance companies do not pay for a complete inspection on the older less expensive vehicles , they deem it cheaper to make it uneconomical to repair, its not worth the unknown hassle.

Take care.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:35 pm

Whether you can 'buy it back' differs from Insurance company, I think some do and some don't allow this. Joy riding a Bongo that must be a first, I agree from the level of damage to steal the thing and the manner in which they dumped it hardly pro's...no alarm on your van? Guess whether you choose the option of a buy back depends as others have stated above as have you on the level of damage and the cost to repair versus what the Insurance company are willing to pay out for the total loss...and as Teenmal has inferred what other damage has been caused not to mention it was probably thrashed. Not nice good luck.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Katka
Bongolier

Post by Katka » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:55 pm

Teenmal is quite right, a joyrider won't have taken good care of the 'van, but If you know the vehicle is a good solid base, no rust, good mechanics etc, it might be worth keeping it, as a replacement will be completely unknown to you too. The damage doesn't sound so very bad, but I have read a new screen is a lot so maybe the others are too. although the door windows are easy'ish to get at so maybe used ones are an option.
It might be worth asking the Insurers if you could withdraw the claim, or at least put it on hold, pending your decision. They might be receptive to not paying out on a cash settlement or even make a contribution so they can close the claim. The write-off process is the value of repairs made by their agent, you may well be able to do some yourself or use a garage who is familiar and so their rates better. You are entitled to examine and negotiate the Assessors opinion. Remember they work for the Insurer and not for you so their interest is not necessarily yours.
Good luck.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:23 pm

Depends as to what the Insurance company you are with as all advice is pretty immaterial until you know the actual restrictions or not on your own policy with them....and then what they rate the £'s value of the 'salvage' as to whether you wish to pay them that value to release it. Give them a call.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:36 pm

Closing the stable door...

But it's worth looking at the Disklok when you have repaired/replaced Bongy:

http://saundersonsecurity.co.uk/disklok ... lwEALw_wcB
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:54 pm

Sorry to hear of that nightmare. Your misfortunate is a good warning to others to make sure these vehicles
are as locked up as they can be. I have 2 visible security devices on ours. (Even though they are PITA to put on and off all the time)

Given the massive hassle and horrible feeling that someone could actually find that screwing someone else over is
an evening's entertainment makes the mind boggle.

Return to “Bongo Chat”