Alternator Strap

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Tymmuffphii
Junior Bongonaut

Alternator Strap

Post by Tymmuffphii » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Could some please tell me if the Alternator Strap ( the live wire connected to the battery and alternator ) has a relay or some kind if fuse. the reason in asking is that my current one keeps arcking and my charge and sediment light ofton pops on......

im wondering if i get a large guage wire, i can then run it from battery live, straight through the bulkhead and onto the Alternator, or will i need to crimp it around the battery area........?

Any Help or Advice around this topic would be greatfully recieved.....

im in Plymouth Devon.

Thanks in Advanced

Tym
:shock: Muff Tha Bongo Boi :lol:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Alternator Strap

Post by g8dhe » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:52 pm

Not quite sure what you referring to here, the alternator power connection for charging the battery comes via the 100 Amp fuse on the battery terminal arm. There is a feed to the alternator field coils via the 30 Amp Headlamp fuse also on the arm which physical position it is depends on the engine type. DO NOT bypass the fuses in either case with extra wires - fuses protect the wiring NOT the devices on the ends of the wire!
Where is the arcing your referring to occurring ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Tymmuffphii
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tymmuffphii » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:32 pm

it Arcs immediately from the crimp ring and onto the alternator. i need make a nice new cable. just looking for best advice on how to do it.

my email address is [email protected] if anyone has a diagram of how to fit and install a new one. im also in plymouth if anyone could have a look at mi e. =D>
Tymmuffphii
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tymmuffphii » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:35 pm

g8dhe wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:52 pm Not quite sure what you referring to here, the alternator power connection for charging the battery comes via the 100 Amp fuse on the battery terminal arm. There is a feed to the alternator field coils via the 30 Amp Headlamp fuse also on the arm which physical position it is depends on the engine type. DO NOT bypass the fuses in either case with extra wires - fuses protect the wiring NOT the devices on the ends of the wire!
Where is the arcing your referring to occurring ?

Could i make a " Crimped " extension. to make it AS NEW? Or is it best to try and get a new one and fit this? i have no idea what to type in on Ebay though.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:44 pm

I think I would start by simply re-crimping the cable onto the terminating ring itself as that's where your seeing arcing? If its between the ring itself and the alternator terminal then is the nut/washer tight that holds it on the alternator ?

Which engine type is it ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”