bongo in france

For all owners and afficionados of Mazda Bongo Friendees and Ford Fredas based outside of UK or Ireland.

Moderators: helen&tony, Ian

knpenny
Bongolier

bongo in france

Post by knpenny » Wed May 23, 2018 10:25 pm

Hi, i've been living in france since nov 2017 and since that time i have been through what i can only describe as an apocolyptic and maddening amount of paper work and waste of life, trying to register the bongo in france. The things i still need to sort is the headlights and potentially the back breaker seat belt on the middle bench, i have read alot about the sliding door issue, as i work in a garage i have some handy inside info on that and it appears to be a "cant be bothered with paperwork" issue on behalf of the tester.
We are looking and working towards getting a DREAL done for conformity to france but in the meantime will be heading back to britain for MOT

On the issue of insurance we came accross a company called "stuartcollins.com" who do 365,24:7 eu vehicle insurance on any age vehicle and will also do full breakdown cover, the only downside is that you have to pay the entire premium in one go, so if you want your bongo fully covered with breakdown cover too you should try them if you live in europe and are having trouble getting your bongo registered, and of course you'll still have to travel back to britain every year for the MOT :wink:

But we will keep trying to get the lady registered here and if we do we will let you know exactly how we acheive this, if it ever happens :roll:
Bongology, the study of all things bong. The bongologist. :shock:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: bongo in france

Post by helen&tony » Fri May 25, 2018 4:28 am

Hi
Yes...I've always said, repeatedly, on here that is the case regarding the sliding door, and my advice has always been that anyone wishing to register abroad should get proper advice from a lawyer...Frankly, it's more of a case of bloody minded English mentality, and " I shouldn't have to do that"...BUT...it's a totally normal thing to do ...namely find out the legal implications, and get the correct answer from the right person at that particular time in that particular country. It just requires work, as you found out!...Diligence pays off! There's always a loophole ANYWHERE if it's a paperwork issue...I was told I couldn't register the Bongo AT ALL by the taxation authority locally (that's not road tax, but council tax)...too many seats for a car, I was told....so I registered it as a bus! :lol: :lol: I didn't register the Bongo straight away anyway, and to get over the issue of only being allowed 6 months in the country, I'd driven it over the border into Romania, got the stamp, and drove back in half an hour later!...That worked!...
Anyway, paperwork, and surmounting the legalities is "kool"
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri May 25, 2018 9:30 am

That's the way Helen. =D>

Spoken like a true Bongonaught. :D
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Tue May 29, 2018 7:56 pm

Yep, i've only been here 7 months now but i have crossed over the swiss border and that pretty much does the same as the romanian job, we still are working at it and the next step is getting the middle bench converted into a swivel, so the dreal when it happens cant say, well you've got the wrong seatrbelt as it will be rear facing, the lights are under study for the best ones, and the fog has already been centralised like peugeot 206, so that'll be fine,
i almost managed it in the first month as i purchased a euro cert certificate of conformity which the french didn't buy, they said it had to be from mazda direct, but as you know, they dont exist.
It may take time but by christ we'll get there. I am fortunate enough to be working in a garage (which employs 90 people) and they deal with registering cars all the time, so i'm working my way through staff trying to find the best contacts to the dreal.
On good terms with the controle technique guys here, so when she does pass the dreal i'll have no probs with the CT/MOT.
But for now its back to uk for an MOT in june and the seat conversions, however i may just install a 3 point seatbelt to be on the safe side.
If you have any advice on the lights that would be greatly appreciated as i have the post99 shape bongo, do you know if i can use the old style repeaters with the mk3 astra lights on the post 99 shape?
Seen lots of pics on the older style bongo.
i have also located the mk3 lights that will switch from LHD to RHD too as well as the bmw e36 ones (with angel eyes) But i dont want to buy yet untill i'm sure i can use them on the post 99 shape.
And as for the "bloody minded english mentallity" i'm afraid that wont work with me..... cos i'm scottish :roll: i'll just have to use my whiskey charm on them :lol:
But like yourself helen, i am very determined and with stuff like this i just wont take no for an answer.
We have got all the other paper stuff sorted like the tax exemtion slip you get for cars over a certain age. So really not too far away but i do think it could take a while to get this sorted, but i WILL prevail in the end, I always do :D
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed May 30, 2018 3:53 am

Hi
That's my Bongo...I've modified the grille. Is yours that shape grille?....The Astra lights fit well, and you just need brackets made to fit. Repeaters?...do you mean indicator on the side of the wing?
Cheers, Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Wed May 30, 2018 9:00 pm

Thats very nice helen, my lights at the front are just one unit instead of the older style which has the two part front lights. unfortunately my grille is diferent but i'm sure i can sort something as i do work in a garage, a big one too, employs 90 people. Got lots of access to great equipment and all the body stuff i could need. I'm heading to the bongobash in stourport next month and will pick brains as well as having a very close look at other bongos while i am there :idea: I should be able to confirm if i can use them or not.
It is the MK3 astra lights i need?
As for the repeaters/outside part of the lights, i'll have to purchase them from an older bogo to make them work with the astra lights :roll:
I just hope its the same space between all marks of bongos, if so then there will be some "bright ideas" :oops: and some work to be done.
Will have no problem with making brackets up and i'll make them adjustable too so i can get them positioned to the best effect without having to remove them too many times.
Thanks for the pic and the tips. Fingers crossed eh? [-o<
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:26 pm

Got another step ticked off, got my crit'air badge so the french gov says my emissions are in a good way.
When the missus spoke to the DREAL guy he mumbled something abot i" it may need to go to paris to get emissions tested at a cost of 2000 euros" [-X Dont thinks so now as this badge is from the same authority as the DREAL and they have the 248g/km on file now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So just the seat belt and the lights in the autumn and its DREAL time [-o<
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:44 am

Hi
Well, I reckon it's about time everywhere started clamping down on emissions. We are just biased because Bongos are old bangers, and we don't want / can't afford to upgrade to a more sensible engine in a newer van. Bleating about not being able to drive somewhere, and n the next breath moaning about constant illness/ breathing problems doesn't figure...so it's something we have to accept...Drive to the outskirts of town, and get a taxi.....I've done that for 40 odd years in London...I can't wait for electric campers!
Cheers
Helen
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:48 am

helen&tony wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:44 am Hi
Well, I reckon it's about time everywhere started clamping down on emissions. We are just biased because Bongos are old bangers, and we don't want / can't afford to upgrade to a more sensible engine in a newer van. Bleating about not being able to drive somewhere, and n the next breath moaning about constant illness/ breathing problems doesn't figure...so it's something we have to accept...Drive to the outskirts of town, and get a taxi.....I've done that for 40 odd years in London...I can't wait for electric campers!
Cheers
Helen
Seems like if the Bongos don't get us, something else will...

https://www.conserve-energy-future.com/ ... matter.php

We're doomed Mr Mainwaring - doomed I tell ye :? :lol:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:44 am

Hi
Mike...'Tis true...we are doomed...notice where they say sea spray contains plastic particles...that's been evident for many years...AND quite adequately reported...Try breathing that in and see how long you last...That's why fish "mysteriously" end up dead. The sea is our actual life force and where we come from, and our greed has stuffed it completely. Picking plastic bags off the beach is just window dressing....The damage is already complete...now for the decline...Indications are that will be quick
Cheers
Helen

Return to “International”