To cover or not to cover?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

paddybsl
Apprentice Bongonaut

To cover or not to cover?

Post by paddybsl » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:37 pm

really daft question but the Bongo Bruce will only see limited use.

He has had a re-spray two years ago and will get polished monthly would you cover him or leave him to the conditions.

My theory is that mould will grow in the dark if covered and so interior will smell and get mouldy?

Any thoughts Bongoers?
Flanners
Bongolier

Re: To cover or not to cover?

Post by Flanners » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:12 pm

I would not cover the car outside especially if it is has had a respray, covers are usually moisture traps (even the apparently breathable ones) luff marks and rub marks and some vehicles suffer with paint defects causing bubbling or blisters as a result especially with freeze thaw conditions in the UK....I think they cause far more problems than they attempt to prevent. there are obviously some who do use covers and are pleased with them. Don't leave the van parked under trees or on grass.

My Bongo is used infrequently and I have no garage space for it left, I do keep it undersealed, washed and waxed (after the polish)

Indoor covers....yes indeed 3 cars in my garage have cotton covers and have suffered no ill effects.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
paddybsl
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by paddybsl » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks great advice, this is exactly how I felt but needed to hear it from someone else :D , fungus (mould grows in the dark and damp)
alant54
Tribal Elder

Post by alant54 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:51 am

I would not cover the Bongo.......as a Naked Bongo is much nicer to look at and admire than a big chunk of boring grey fabric.

Regular cleaning and airing out and you have beauty to behold..... :D

Alan
Alan...still plodding on....!

Return to “Bongo Chat”