New to the Bongo

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

TheSingingBush
Apprentice Bongonaut

New to the Bongo

Post by TheSingingBush » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi all, we are new to Bongo ownership having bought ours just over a week ago. I've read some interesting threads on here already and learnt a bit.
Just got a couple of questions if anyone can help..
How can I tell if it's 4wd ? I'm waiting for the log book coming back and I can't tell to be honest, the seller advertised it as a 4wd but I'm it convinced. Doesn't bother me either way because the Bongo is brilliant! I have a 4w abs light?
Is the 2.5td the same engine as a Transit?

Mine is a 2.5td auto tintop in Silver, 1997 model registered in 08. I've yet to take any pictures but we are besotted with her, I say her as she has been named Bambi (Bongo meaning African Deer, well Antelope really but....) anyways I've got lots of history with her and I believe she used to live in the Lake District.

I've put a new single din stereo in today and was thinking about swapping the heater controls to where the stereo is, good idea??? I haven't done yet but it is the same din e fitting and would save leaning right across when driving etc. Next job, roof mounted DVD for the children in the back and upgrade the speakers.

I used to be a member of an MG forum having owned a number of TFs , so I am used to fiddly hard to access engine bays, little niggles and unique ownership flashing lights at other owners scenario.

Anyways, just saying 'Hi

Thanks all

Scott
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: New to the Bongo

Post by Bob » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:47 pm

Hi Scott, and welcome to BF. 8)

You can look underneath the pointy end and see if there's a diff, yes and she's 4wd, if not she isn't.

Also VIN number starts SGL5 on 4x4s, SGL3 if 4x2.

The engine is the same as the Ford Ranger, not Transit.

Personally I couldn't be bothered swapping radio and heater controls, but it's been done, and Bambi Bongo sounds a nice name for her. 8)

Happy Bongoing.
TheSingingBush
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by TheSingingBush » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:23 pm

Thanks a lot Bob, looking forward to our Bongoing future... got rid of my 3 series to purchase her, lots comfier and loads of room.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 pm

Welcome and hope you're enjoying this great vehicle. I like Bob's remark about 'the pointy end'. Might be better called 'the less blunt end' :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:48 pm

Proper sailing term, Bill. :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:02 am

Bob wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:48 pm Proper sailing term, Bill. :lol:
Yes the Bongo's a sort of Kon Tiki of the car world Ben :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:56 pm

Look underneath by the sliding door. You will see a drive shaft going from a (transfer) box to the front if 4wd. Also look for a yellow blob of paint on the rear differential. If there you'll have the highly desirable but not much talked about limited slip dif'
I've not tried myself but I gather the original speakers are very good and replacements that are thin enough to fit are hard to find.
TheSingingBush
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by TheSingingBush » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:30 am

Tony x wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:56 pm Look underneath by the sliding door. You will see a drive shaft going from a (transfer) box to the front if 4wd. Also look for a yellow blob of paint on the rear differential. If there you'll have the highly desirable but not much talked about limited slip dif'
I've not tried myself but I gather the original speakers are very good and replacements that are thin enough to fit are hard to find.
Thanks Tony. I'll hopefully be having a nosey this weekend weather permitting. The fronts are ok at low volume but quickly become distorted, I've put an Alpine HU in now so it may just be too much for them, I don't want anything too loud more quality etc, I may add some Bose type surround cubes in the middle for fill too.
Still getting to grips with the forum and will be a paid member once my v5 arrives (for the VIN etc). Love the character of the Bongo and the exclusivity.
Winnie-bongo
Bongonaut

Post by Winnie-bongo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:09 pm

On the subject of the door speakers the JVC CS-J620X will fit in easily using the original mounts after they have been trimmed back and the doorcards have been trimmed too. Have put an Instagram post up about it

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ZqHcKJKl0 ... x7xjo8ebxv

🚐

Return to “Bongo Chat”