Split charging

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Glenda
Bongolier

Re: Split charging

Post by Glenda » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:28 am

A question for G8dhe. I still have my Bongo Numax Leisure Battery.
I am in process of converting my Toyota 3.4L Ambulance. It has a twin battery set up, which I believe is for 24V starting (Landcruiser Engine).

Want electrics only for lights, stereo and charging when ignition off.
Do I use one of the twin batteries for this or will this flatten both?
Can the Bongo leisure battery and split charger be fitted and the twin batteries kept. I have enough space.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:26 pm

First of all you need to make certain that your system is 24 volts or not, normally its all 24 volts or all 12 volts you don't have a mix.
If you are 24 volt then the alternator will be 24 volts and the two batteries will have identical Amp Hour capacities and wired in series, its important to make sure that the two batteries are similar if not identical as otherwise during charging one battery will end up overcharged. Its for this reason that you don't normally tap a 24 volt system and draw any significant power from a 12 volt tap, as the batteries will rapidly get out of step and one will die surprisingly quickly at that point you have to change BOTH batteries.

If you system is 12 volts then probably like then Northern Japan Bongo's you have dual starter batteries for increased starting capacity.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:40 pm

Thanks Geoff,
From that I can see the identical batteries are in parallel to increase capacity. That is one battery connected to the other by + to + and - to -.

Can I now add a split charge and leisure battery to one of these batteries?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:17 pm

Yes, do you have room for a third battery, if so then just take the SCR power feed from the one nearest the alternator connection (but its not that critical), do remember fusing requirements from each source, its possible that the existing second battery doesn't have any fuses for the simple reason that its direct to the starter motor.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:28 pm

Brilliant. Don't need LB fitted for a few months but need to plan shape of conversion. Rather than cramp up engine bay ideal position for leisure battery would be in it's own little cupboard under one of the beds (yet to be made). This would place it 3 metres from starter batteries.
Would that distance be OK for the wiring with SCR under the bonnet?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:43 pm

Not ideal, its the distance you need to run from the alternator to the SCR and new battery, its best to keep that as short as possible, but again its not impossible just run a higher gauge of wire to keep the resistance lower. You also need to bear in mind that the batteries can give off gas, Hydrogen and Oxygen so should really be a vented area away from electrical switching or naked lights like the cooker!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:46 pm

g8dhe wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:10 am The two switches at the front are tested by the software independently to make sure that the roof has closed "square" to the roof, it only takes one switch to cause the alarm to keep sounding. Which one is having the problem is "left to the reader to investigate" is I think the wording used to cover the situation ;-) checking the wiring diagrams and testing at the connector if you have access to the module is the simplest way!
Now that's curious, as I've had a flashing light but no sound alarm for 11 years due to having a duff O/S microswitch. But I only got an alarm staying on problem recently when the N/S microswitch went a bit dicky. Which is why I assumed one switch did one thing, and the other another. Confused I am :? :roll: 8-[ :-k
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:44 pm

Interesting I have seen conflicting reports previously I wonder if the software in the computer has changed at some time, I checked it out on a spare module ages ago I borrowed from George @ BongoSpares when I drew the circuit out. If I get a chance I'll test my own but given its behind the conversion it poses an access problem!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:13 am

g8dhe wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:44 pm Interesting I have seen conflicting reports previously I wonder if the software in the computer has changed at some time, I checked it out on a spare module ages ago I borrowed from George @ BongoSpares when I drew the circuit out. If I get a chance I'll test my own but given its behind the conversion it poses an access problem!
The microswitches are a bit of a pain on ageing Bongos especially as they're fiddly to replace. Can't help feeling it'd probably be safe to operate the roof without the microswitches in circuit as long as a visual and physical check were undertaken that the roof was down. :roll:
Razor
Bongonaut

Re: Split charging / beeper won’t stop,

Post by Razor » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:27 pm

Many thanks one and all, are there 4 or 5 micro switches as I can only see three and I assume there should be one under each of the motor covers?
. :D :D
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Split charging / beeper won’t stop,

Post by teenmal » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:23 pm

Razor wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:27 pm Many thanks one and all, are there 4 or 5 micro switches as I can only see three and I assume there should be one under each of the motor covers?
. :D :D

by g8dhe
Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:51 pm
Forum: Techie Stuff
Topic: Can't find roof sensor on 96' Bongo
Replies: 4
Views: 389
Re: Can't find roof sensor on 96' Bongo
There are 4 sensors (micro switches);
Two at the front one each side - these operate when the roof is fully lowered
One halfway along on the nearside, for the pause half way down,
One at the rear nearside (difficult to see!!!!) which senses when its fully raised.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:39 pm

There not under the motor covers, they are in the upper rails and as the arm gets to them it operates them to indicate the position of the roof itself.
See here for a series of photo's about the AFT http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/aft
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”