Underseal / Waxoyl Garage

05gt
Bongonaut

Underseal / Waxoyl Garage

Post by 05gt » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:58 pm

I am looking to get my Bongo under sealed I might have a go at it myself but know it is a messy job. I wondered where people have gone to get this done in Scotland. I am based in Edinburgh but travel around a lot so flexible where I could go to get this done. Edinburgh , Glasgow Aberdeen and in between are all ok.
kev&caz
Bongonaut

Re: Underseal / Waxoyl Garage

Post by kev&caz » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:13 am

Hi I've just Waxoyl undersealed my van as part of an ongoing refurb. Just had the rear wheel arches replaced and a respray including the top.
Your right it is a messy job but well worth the time and effort. Also doing it yourself you can guarantee its right. Took about 8 hrs for the full underside including front and rear arches. The cost was minimal as I got a cheap pack of paint brushes, but a good quality wire brush and the Hammerite Waxoyl (on line less than half the cost of local stores). The up side is if you find a problem you can do something about it. The only prep is spray the bolts that hold the protective plastics so they have a chance of removal. Just a thought? Total cost around £20
05gt
Bongonaut

Post by 05gt » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:50 am

Thanks , that is a huge saving by doing diy
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:49 pm

Remember you'll probably be throwing away whatever over-clothes you're wearing so disposible overalls and gloves a good idea. Also eye and breathing protection. And the drive needs protecting from drips also so a disposible tarp underneath would be good. Good preparation removing mud and any significant rust also a good idea. And to get good ground clearance for working you'll want (3 tonne for safety) ramps
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:26 am

Bongo friendly garage in East Linton does wax oiling. As you come East from Haddington down the A199 it's the very first premises. The guy Chris Allan does servicing and repairs to several bongos in East Lothian.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
05gt
Bongonaut

Post by 05gt » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:50 am

Thanks for the diy tips Also, I didn't know about the garage in East Linton, that could be handy as I on the south side of Edinburgh.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:30 am

05gt wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:50 am Thanks for the diy tips Also, I didn't know about the garage in East Linton, that could be handy as I on the south side of Edinburgh.
Oh and make sure the car is allowed to dry out thoroughly before waxoyl applied. Sorry to add to the list of advisories! Tempting to use a garage (who will probably spray rather than brush, to get it into cavities etc and for speed) but get assurances on good preparation and expect to pay for same. Also, waxoyl needs redoing annually in high abrasion areas like wheel arches, but that could be brushed DIY.
71notout
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by 71notout » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:19 pm

Hi, new member.

Whilst I don't currently have a Bongo (plan to purchase), I do have a 1991 Eunos Roadster that I had fully undersealed with Dinitrol by Preserve & Protect in Johnstone.

Not cheap, but the finish is excellent and has lasted the 3 years i've had my Eunos very well.

Now I just need the Eunos to sell so I can get my Bongo :D

I am also based just outside Edinburgh.
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:12 pm

Preserve and Protect was where I had my Jeep Cherokee undersealed with Dinitrol early in November 2018. Not cheap as said above but the best around. Going back there next month for the free year after check up. Almost forgot about this check up but they were very flexible. Very pleased with the service to date, they also treated the engine bay and did some necessary welding.
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585

Return to “Scotland”