converting to LPG

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

mollie
Apprentice Bongonaut

converting to LPG

Post by mollie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:41 am

Hi. I,m thinking of converting to LPG. I would really appreciate hearing about the pros and cons of doing so.
Katka
Bongolier

Re: converting to LPG

Post by Katka » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:41 pm

We did it and am very pleased. The earlier in your Bongo owning career the better as it gives more time for the savings to accrue. Although you don't say what sort of Bongo you have, it is only for petrol engines, diesel can't be converted. So....
the Pro's.
LPG is 50 - 60p per litre - nearer 40p in mainland Europe.
better for the environment

The con's..... well, I can think of none of significance. There ARE things to be aware of though. The capital cost is about £1300, so you should work out how long you'll have Bongo and your mileage. We allowed 2 1/2 years for payback in SE England where LPG is most expensive.
There arn't so many LPG fill-up points as petrol - especially in the SE. However, with a little planning, even here it's ok or it'll automatically switch to petrol. FillLPG.co.uk shows you where and how much LPG is.
There are more bits that might go wrong, but so long as you get a decent fitter and system, shouldn't be a worry, anymore than the petrol system

The neutrals
You should tell your Insurers, but there isn't likely to be a cost implication
You'll notice no difference when driving
You'll need to have the conversion checked over by a LPG mechanic every so often. About every 10k miles
Some say it wears the engine's valves and plugs. I'm not sure how true that is but there're plenty of LPG vehicles around the world and the technology is thoroughly proven and is even fitted to high performance cars like Porsche, Range Rover etc.
If you do lots of short journeys when the engine is cold LPG is no help, it only kicks in at 25 degrees, up to then it's petrol
You can switch back to petrol, should you need to.
You can't take it on Eurotunnel, only the ferry.
When you decide to sell your bongo having LPG is likely to help, and maybe even add a few quid to the price.

As a guide, since converting fuel costs us about 12p per mile, petrol would cost about 20p.

Do the maths, and it it works out for you, I wouldn't have any hesitation except to do it.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Very thorough answer. =D>

And welcome aboard mollie. 8)
mollie
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by mollie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Thankyou Katka that is a great help. I do use it to run around Gosport but still think that LPG would be a great saving. Will look into availability thanks for the link to that also.
Katka
Bongolier

Post by Katka » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:57 pm

A minor correction, for completeness. Diesel engines can be converted but it's unusual and not been particularly economic apparently. However with current pollution concerns, maybe it will become more common.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:15 pm

This is, indeed, intersting:

http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/diesel.html

Who knows what may be worthwhile in a few years?
Getcarter
Bongolier

Post by Getcarter » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:34 am

Great answer above, I would also think about where you can get LPG local to you.

BP are pulling away from LPG so as they refurbish their stations they are taking them out. We are near Guildford and only have 1 place to buy it so we do now have to make a special journey sometimes. Its still worth it though.
V6 Tintop with LPG
Katka
Bongolier

Post by Katka » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Getcarter wrote: ......We are near Guildford and only have 1 place to buy it ..........
so that's 2 LPG Bongo's in Guildford then. see you in the one and only Shell !
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Ask a Taxi driver ... Many local Taxis run on LPG and there are 'off the grid' places that service them .. mine in Walsall is part of a car wash / used tyres pitch ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
mollie
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by mollie » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:47 am

Thanks everyone, that has been very helpful. About to go and speak to someone about converting to LPG.More aboutthat later!
Tank
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Tank » Fri May 03, 2019 8:12 am

Hi complete newbie here.
Is it possible to convert 2.0 ltr. As well as 2.6 to lpg.? Is it worth it ?
Which is best?I live in a city, and plan to use my bongo as an every day vehicle.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri May 03, 2019 9:13 am

Both can have LPG added without too much hassle. However do bear in mind that it won't switch to LPG until the engine has warmed up so unless your doing a few miles each way on local runs you won't get a lot of benefit, and overall your looking to do a significant each year to make it all pay back.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”