Fiamma F45S Awning

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

ardee
Junior Bongonaut

Fiamma F45S Awning

Post by ardee » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:35 am

We are thinking of buying a wind out awning for our Bongo. I have found this site and the prices seem competitive:

http://www.fiammastore.com/Motorhome-Aw ... ome-Awning
230mm - £388

Brackets:
http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-F45s- ... after-1980
£66

Tie down kit in yellow:
http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Acces ... Down-Kit-S
£15.50

Delivery is an additional £8.95, making a total of £478.45 including VAT.

Firstly, are these the right items for a Bongo?
Secondly, do I need anything more for this awning?
Thirdly, is this a good price? If not can you recommend anywhere else?

Thanks in advance
Tracey
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Fiamma F45S Awning

Post by g8dhe » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:45 am

We always found having the feet was handy if you wanted to come back to the same place as you can remove the supports without removing the whole plate http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Acces ... wning-Pegs
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
ardee
Junior Bongonaut

Post by ardee » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:05 am

g8dhe wrote:We always found having the feet was handy if you wanted to come back to the same place as you can remove the supports without removing the whole plate http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Acces ... wning-Pegs
Thanks for that. Would I need to peg down the feet if I was using the tie downs? Could the tie downs be slackened off and disconnected from the awning and left in situ, ready for reconnection when we returned?
Alan2016
Bongonaut

Post by Alan2016 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:12 am

I have been looking at F45S awnings as well. One thing I have been trying to decide between is the 230cm v the 260cm length? Which is a better fit for a Bongo? Am I right in thinking that if I wanted to add a front panel or privacy room at a later date then I would need the 260cm model?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:40 pm

ardee wrote:
g8dhe wrote:We always found having the feet was handy if you wanted to come back to the same place as you can remove the supports without removing the whole plate http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Acces ... wning-Pegs
Thanks for that. Would I need to peg down the feet if I was using the tie downs? Could the tie downs be slackened off and disconnected from the awning and left in situ, ready for reconnection when we returned?
Yes, thats what we do, peg only the outer edges of the feet, then the supports come out easier, and just release tie down from one end (ours is a single continuous one) and flip it off the awning, wind in and away, use a spare thin guy line pinned on the offside of the wheels to re-locate when you come back.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
janandhamish
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by janandhamish » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:49 pm

We only got the Bongo (Malcolm) in August and decided an awning was essential with in the first
two nights away , but what to buy ? Rather of
the school of buy it right buy it once went for a
Fiamma F45s 2.6m in black @ £433 , tie down kit @ £16 and the AVA brackets @ £100 ( chose these as I felt they are a much better job made in stainless for the Bongo rather than the Fiamma
which is steel and an adaptation of a VW one). So far used for 20 nights and it's brilliant, even spent another £124 on the pro w end side which came in very handy in Norfolk last week.
Other thing is all this stuff will fit the VW T 4/5 so IF we ever sold Malcolm we would probably get more than we paid for it !
ardee
Junior Bongonaut

Post by ardee » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:03 pm

janandhamish wrote:We only got the Bongo (Malcolm) in August and decided an awning was essential with in the first
two nights away , but what to buy ? Rather of
the school of buy it right buy it once went for a
Fiamma F45s 2.6m in black @ £433 , tie down kit @ £16 and the AVA brackets @ £100 ( chose these as I felt they are a much better job made in stainless for the Bongo rather than the Fiamma
which is steel and an adaptation of a VW one). So far used for 20 nights and it's brilliant, even spent another £124 on the pro w end side which came in very handy in Norfolk last week.
Other thing is all this stuff will fit the VW T 4/5 so IF we ever sold Malcolm we would probably get more than we paid for it !
What persuaded you to go for the 2.6m rather than the 2.3m? (I haven't had a chance to measure up yet so not sure which one would be better).

I couldn't find the AVA brackets for a tin-top? Not sure if I am just being dumb.
janandhamish
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by janandhamish » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:31 pm

AVA brackets only for pop top and went for the 2.6m as it fits really we'll maximising length available without overhang and also it's what all the VW boys want especially in black so easy /min lose on resale is needed .
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 pm

Hi,

Worth keeping an eye on Fleabay. I picked up an F45 complete with unused privacy room & brackets for a T5 for £350. Very well worth having from our point of view, though some might find a drive away more useful. The feet are definitely worth having and I've also found it worthwhile casting some concrete weights to fit over the bottom of the legs as we sometimes have to use the awning when parked on concrete. Only used the tie down kit once, and that was to help out somebody else.

I would suggest using security screws to fit it - round here there have been a few attempted thefts of campervan accessories.

Peter

Return to “Bongo Chat”