And the Bongo is gone!

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

roosmith
Tribal Elder

And the Bongo is gone!

Post by roosmith » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:20 pm

I've just waved goodbye to the Bongo.Lovely couple came and picked it up, turns out they already have one, this an addition to their family. They are also on here! (Please bear in mind when you read my posts I've been on here when things aren't going right and need help, I haven't sold you a pup!).

You know how I said it felt like rehoming a pet, well I feel much happier that it is going to a couple who will love it and give it the love it deserves!

Now back to the new van which I've been working on, as it broke down on the first proper trip out (gear linkage) and had us all wondering if we were doing the right thing getting rid of the Bongo! The Bongo has had its niggles but it never broke down!
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: And the Bongo is gone!

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:22 pm

Good luck Roosmith and keep in touch. Hope the new owners get in touch on here and enjoy happy ownership.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:54 pm

And the Bongo is here!
It had to be fate didnt it.
I didnt connect until we arrived that this was Roosmith`s.
Nursing my sister till end of next week but I may take it with me and plan out the interior and sort a plan of action!
Looking forward to this one. :D
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:58 pm

And Mike, yes it has the grunt low down and a relaxing grumble sounds like a proper diesel too. :D :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:02 pm

Bongolia wrote:And Mike, yes it has the grunt low down and a relaxing grumble sounds like a proper diesel too. :D :D
Doesn't it just. Nothing like the diesel purring along down winding B Roads at 50mph. You'll soon have it fettled and its certainly gone to the right home - Roosmith will be pleased:-)
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:41 am

It's a small world :D
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:36 am

You're not wrong Gasy, we were talking at the handover and the dawn of realisation that we had been talking to each other, or the even weirder coincidence that Bongolia had been giving advice on how to diagnose stuff on the Bongo he ended up buying!
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:37 am

Years back I was in a small town ( pilenque ) in South mexico
Walked into a bus station waiting room
And bump into a Scouse mate I hadn't seen for 6 years
We were only whight people in the town

Very small world indeed
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:20 am

roosmith wrote:
Now back to the new van which I've been working on, as it broke down on the first proper trip out (gear linkage) and had us all wondering if we were doing the right thing getting rid of the Bongo! The Bongo has had its niggles but it never broke down!

I wonder what the new van is?

Frank

EDIT:

I've just woken up and seen Stewart! Hopefully a good base for a camper conversion as they have good volume with vertical sides.
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:43 am

Hi Frank, yep I've just updated my profile.

I researched the living daylights out of the Vivaro/Trafic and a couple of faults keep cropping up (on the newer facelift version) of a gear linkage nylon joint wearing and injectors getting stuck in the head. I looked up the solutions for the gear linkage and it is the simplest of solutions fitting a £10 clamp around the joint to stop it popping off. Trouble is, I didn't do this before our first proper journey and hey presto it popped off on the way back from Silverstone at the weekend. I hadn't even looked for the joint, so was stuck on the side of the road (a main 60mph one) in the dark looking for it (again no equivalent forum to search on!) . It's a bugger to get to when working on a hot engine but found it and with cable ties around it, got us home.

With regard to the conversion, indeed there is a lot of scope, as we have got the long wheel base crew cab. We keep all seats in place and then have the load area to play with, without it having to do two functions. It isn't quite 6 foot in the back, so can't fit a full size bed in but we only use the van for odd nights so it's good enough for what we need. It will mainly be a day van for motorsport events, so more than enough room for lounging around and cooking in.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:16 am

Hi Roo.
Got the puller kit for the injectors on them if you get stuck.
Or the injectors do. :)
Can post down if needed.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:23 pm

Bongolia wrote:Hi Roo.
Got the puller kit for the injectors on them if you get stuck.
Or the injectors do. :)
Can post down if needed.
Thanks for that, very kind offer. I forgot to elaborate on that in my last post.

The design of the scuttle panel means that if you don't keep the drains clear, the water cascades directly down onto the injectors, sitting there and welding them to the head. (bit like the Bongo does instead of doing the cheap heater bearings it does the injectors!).

In the history, it shows an injector has been replaced, I hope they removed them all then. You never know!! My local garage has said he can remove them, just to make sure they are moving ok but what would we do if one or more is stuck? Worst case I'm looking at a new head now rather than when there is an actual problem. Tricky one but I'm normally of the opinion, if it ain't broke and all that. I'll at least leave it a while until the pain of actually buying it is a little further behind me!
Stargazer
Bongonaut

Post by Stargazer » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:04 pm

Hi Roosmith,

I just saw this thread and thought I would drop you a quick message, we too sadly are having to say goodbye to our Bongo, it feels like the end of an Era, quite sad really. Anyway, like you we have been looking at Vivaro/Trafic and just yesterday have put down a deposit on a lovely Trafic which we hope to collect at the weekend. I would be very interested to hear your thoughts and ideas on these vehicles (I believe they are essentially the same?) we are hoping to do a very simple conversion with ours.

Best wishes,
Stargazer
Home is where you park it..... :)
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:23 pm

Hi Stargazer,

Well so far so good but it is early days. I did a lot of research beforehand and found that both the Mk1 and Mk2 have their issues but the MK2 has fewer major ones, so we went with one of them. As mentioned above one of them (weak gear linkage) came true for us on the first trip out, so that was unfortunate to say the least.

It's currently in the garage having bits and bobs done. I have to say I am enjoying the cost of parts vs the Bongo and of course ease of being able to give it to any garage. As per other popular threads on here, it turns out my local friendly garage that had been looking after the Bongo had failed rather spectacularly, so I'm trying a new one with the Vivaro.

They are the same vehicles, the Trafic is put together in France and the Vivaro in Luton but all parts on the Vivaro are stamped Renault anyway. (I understand Renault also build the high roof Vivaros as they don't fit in Luton factory?)

We're going to be doing our own simple "conversion" into a day van (as that's what we use it for now, part of the reason we didn't need the Bongo anymore). Plenty of space to play with.

Not sure the other half is enjoying the extra length :oops: as we went with the LWB. In fact I say not sure, she has told me in no uncertain terms she isn't!
Stargazer
Bongonaut

Post by Stargazer » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:46 am

Hi Roosmith,

Sorry for the delay in reply, it's been a bit hectic here! Anyway, we collected our new Renault Trafic last weekend and we are really pleased with it, we are now in the process of converting it into a basic camper, this will be a very simple design, we need to build a fitted shelf for our dog crate to rest on, then we will have a bed underneath and some storage boxes.( I actually just bought a large storage box which is in fact one of those garden/patio storage chests but it fits behind the front seats perfectly!) We are hoping to get finished this weekend and plan to go away for a couple of nights before the weather changes.

Like you, we still hold a special place in our hearts for the Bongo but we hope the new van gives us just as much joy. I'm sure we will still visit the forum from time to time, it will be good to compare notes eh!

Best wishes to you
Stargazer.
Home is where you park it..... :)

Return to “Bongo Chat”