Freda Office

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

MalcW
Bongonaut

Freda Office

Post by MalcW » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:17 am

Hi All

I work from home, which is fine except that we live in a 2 bed bungalow, which it can be a bit invasive for my wife as have no separate office space. So we considered setting up a shed with power. Then it occurred to me: we have a perfectly good 'shed' parked on the drive right next to the house, that even has its own sink and cooker! So here I am,in my 'office', with the power hookup plugged into the garage, working away (well, apart from typing this of course). And I can put the kettle on whenever I like. No toilet though...

I know Bongos/Fredas are very useful, flexible vehicles, but I didn't consider this when we bought it.
Yan
Bongonaut

Re: Freda Office

Post by Yan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Ha ha! Sounds ideal to me. I keep eyeing up my bongo as a potential work place.

Wouldn't it be great to have a new view from your office everyday!! I'm sold :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:06 pm

MalcW wrote:Hi All

I work from home, which is fine except that we live in a 2 bed bungalow, which it can be a bit invasive for my wife as have no separate office space. So we considered setting up a shed with power. Then it occurred to me: we have a perfectly good 'shed' parked on the drive right next to the house, that even has its own sink and cooker! So here I am,in my 'office', with the power hookup plugged into the garage, working away (well, apart from typing this of course). And I can put the kettle on whenever I like. No toilet though...

I know Bongos/Fredas are very useful, flexible vehicles, but I didn't consider this when we bought it.
Woa that is so cool. With a few mods you could have a fully mobile off-gridable sleepable in office. I'm sure the toilet aspect could be sorted somehow ;-)
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:44 pm

Sounds absolutely ideal. I know I am totally mad but if I can't get away at the weekend, I usually end up camping in Tonto in the garden!!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Yan
Bongonaut

Post by Yan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:28 pm

Jillygumbo wrote:Sounds absolutely ideal. I know I am totally mad but if I can't get away at the weekend, I usually end up camping in Tonto in the garden!!
Cheap weekend & close to the loos...i like it!
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:39 pm

Funny you should talk about that, I use my garage as an office and when the roof was being replaced I succesfully used the Bongo as HQ for three weeks. Good Wi Fi too. :D
Jillygumbo. You should get out more. :D :D
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:06 pm

Bongolia wrote:Funny you should talk about that, I use my garage as an office and when the roof was being replaced I succesfully used the Bongo as HQ for three weeks. Good Wi Fi too. :D
Really! I go away nearly every weekend as it is!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:53 pm

Ooops!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:55 pm

Jillygumbo wrote:
Bongolia wrote:Funny you should talk about that, I use my garage as an office and when the roof was being replaced I succesfully used the Bongo as HQ for three weeks. Good Wi Fi too. :D
Really! I go away nearly every weekend as it is!
Definitely a Gone Girl :P
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:05 pm

You're following in the footsteps of the Great. =D>

Out Bongoing so a link is difficult but Mr I K Brunel did the very same thing.

His mobile office was horse drawn rather than diesel or V6 but exactly the same idea. :D
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:41 pm

I sometimes work for an hour or so in the Bongo (so that we can get away when I still have work to do!) but I find I can't get the normal office type comfort. The seats are too low and far from the table. Don't get me wrong they are great for camping and relaxing but I just find it uncomfortable to work in compared to sitting on a proper chair at a desk.

Still it is better than nothing and beats having to stay at home to do it! I just can't do much more than an hour at a time.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:07 pm

MalcW wrote:Hi All

Pretend youre camping and p155 outside at the back of the van :shock: ,dont get too carried away though,could be messy having a dump in your privets :oops:
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
JamieBennett
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by JamieBennett » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:49 pm

I recently worked in my Bongo for nearly a week, the worst bit was finding a decent wifi signal. The actual mechanics of being in the Bongo rear seats, boiling a kettle for coffee; pot noodle, beans on toast, making sandwiches e.t.c and being there for several hours a day was actually great. I even took the dog with me which a) was good company and b) made sure I took adequate walk breaks. I got so much done not only on my day-job work topics but on my spare-time Ph.D topics that I found it liberating and often at home I think about 'taking the van out to get work done'. Make sure you have a good phone signal for tethering or a willing local pub/establishment for wifi sharing, other than that, enjoy the experience of quiet, solitude, and peace.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:55 am

Reading this thread reminds me that I have got a reasonably good Type 25 VW parked up at home.

Maybe I should live in it during the winter as it will be cheaper to heat than the house!

At the moment it is home to boxes of maturing firewood and my collection of extra steel wheels with useable tyres for the Bongo.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:43 pm

Jillygumbo wrote:Sounds absolutely ideal. I know I am totally mad but if I can't get away at the weekend, I usually end up camping in Tonto in the garden!!
That has to be the cutest Bongo enthusiastic post I have read.

Cool idea with the Bongo office should be easily possible. 8) Maybe consider a nice small portable printer, if you need one ? Usually plenty of cubby holes for stationary etc. if converted.

I like Canon printers myself for reliability, here is a battery operated one, bit pricey :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PIXMA-Po ... N6GJV708AK

Or of course if you have mains hook up at home (likely) then any one will do.

Return to “Bongo Chat”