Bongo newbie

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

lenny_mc
Junior Bongonaut

Bongo newbie

Post by lenny_mc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:10 pm

Hi all,

Lenny based in Dublin here. Just popped in to say hi! Looking at getting a bongo for myself and cant decide between the 2.0, 2.5 v6 and the diesel. I have read many threads on the pros and cons of each but still cant decide!! I am looking at using an agent to import one directly from Japan and am not in any rush to get one (unless the right one turns up here in ireland or the UK). The 2.0 litre appeals to me from a simplicity perspective, i like the towing capacity of the diesel, and the petrol head in me likes the v6!!!

Plan is to install a mid or rear conversion and do some camping with my wife and daughter, and maybe drive it to spain next year and who knows where the following year.

Looking forward to getting a bongo and picking your brains!!
Lenny
cmm303
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo newbie

Post by cmm303 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:47 am

Welcome to the forum Lenny, and to the possibilities of Bongo ownership.

Sounds like you've done your reading. You may find that the reduced availability of new import diesels in decent condition might help you out with your engine choice. Any chance of a trip to a dealer to give different engines a test drive?

Good luck with your Bongo hunt.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:14 pm

Very warm welcome. :D
mycallsevern
Bongonaut

Post by mycallsevern » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 am

Hi Lenny, welcome to the forum :D
AndyS95
Bongonaut

Post by AndyS95 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:09 pm

Hi Lenny and welcome..

If you're at Electric Picnic this year you'd be welcome to come and look at our rear conversion diesel. :D
lenny_mc
Junior Bongonaut

Post by lenny_mc » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:02 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys! unfortnately I wont be at electric picnic Andy. Maybe next year.

Lenny
AndyS95
Bongonaut

Post by AndyS95 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:07 pm

Hopefully see you then!
lenny_mc
Junior Bongonaut

Post by lenny_mc » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:55 pm

So a quick update. A friend of mine has a bongo and for a few weeks I had been trying to arrange a time to get down to look at it with my wife - she hadn't seen one in the flesh and felt it might be too small. We got to look at it this morning and my wife thought it was great and we decided to get one. A couple of hours later I was browsing a classifieds site and saw a 96 2.5 Freda for sale 30 minutes from my house. Went and had a look at it, drove well, everything worked, and the seller had a genuine interest in the van, it also turns out we both know some of the same people, so long story short, left a deposit and collecting during the week. Needs a service (due in 1000km) and a few small jobs and a good clean, but apart from that I think it's a good one! Comes with both seats, a removable kitchen and a roof rack! I will post photos when I get it. Happy days! :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:13 am

Great news. If its not got a low coolant alarm i'd fit one asap. Also, a thorough check for rust and a budget for welding, from my experience. And lift tbe engine covers and get to know what is what, check hoses and (if a diesel) check the bleed hose is tied up out of the way and not chafing on anything.
lenny_mc
Junior Bongonaut

Post by lenny_mc » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:44 am

mikeonb4c wrote:Great news. If its not got a low coolant alarm i'd fit one asap. Also, a thorough check for rust and a budget for welding, from my experience. And lift tbe engine covers and get to know what is what, check hoses and (if a diesel) check the bleed hose is tied up out of the way and not chafing on anything.
Thanks Mike. I have an LCA on the list. Are there any recommendations?
Also going to do timing belt, full service, fuel guage is reading 0 (bad earth?), 2 rear tyres and a good clean. rust wise, there are a few small spots but nothing serious (that I can see - will they be famous last words?) Plan is to clean off the rust, treat it and paint it back up.

I had a good crawl around underneath it yesterday (i also broke all the rules - dont but in the rain, dont buy the first one you look at, dont buy in the dark!!) There is no rust underneath, the cooler pipes to the back are good and solid, there are new front wishbones, new pads & discs at the front, there is some scoring on the rear disks, so i will probably change them down the road. Coolant level was good, no mayonaisse, All electrics work, roof works (owner kept it greased up), includes a roof rack, a tow bar, and screen thermal cover thingys.

All in all, it's a 20 yr old honest freda with a few small jobs to do, but it is all there, and looks to be quite solid. I am a tinkerer so can do the few jobs over time, and am really looking forward to getting out in it.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:54 pm

Poor earth on the fuel gauge sender is very common and easily sorred. 8)
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:25 am

Sounds like you have bagged yourself a Bongo that you can trust. Excellent =D>
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
lenny_mc
Junior Bongonaut

Post by lenny_mc » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:06 pm

Bob wrote:Poor earth on the fuel gauge sender is very common and easily sorred. 8)
I saw a video where someone runs an earth from the tank to the chasis - is it as simple as that?

Seller delivered the bongo last night, which was nice as I still havent sorted out insurance yet (Ireland can be a pain for things like that sometimes) but I hope to have it on the road for the weekend. My 2 yr old daughter was delighted when she saw it and spent an hour in the drivers seat. We have to drag her away kicking and screaming for bed! That's a good sign.

I plan on doing all fluids, belt & tensioner, new rear pads and discs (and rebuild the calipers - i think one is sticking, and one disc is scored) before tackling some small surface rust, then undersealing it. ALso plan on a LCA. DO I need a temperature alarm aswell? Once all that is done I am going to build a rear kitchen conversion - the one that is in there is fine, but not what I want.

Already have a holiday booked to Barcelona for next year so going to drive via the pyrenees!! Should be fun.

Return to “Bongo Chat”