Questions following the Bongo Bash...

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Questions following the Bongo Bash...

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:22 pm

What you COULD try is to use a 2nd pole on each side angled back towards the Bongo. Provided the original poles could not pull out of tbe ground and that the tops of the two poles, where they meet, are bound/linked together, and the angled poles don't slip on the ground, the triangulated structure should work similar to using guy ropes, but using a compression strut instead of a tensioned guy rope. But it would all be bulkier, time consuming to construct, and you could still trip over the angled pole #-o

Taking a lateral look at the problem, i'd use storm strap webbing and beefy pegs as the solution, thus greatly increasing secure fastening in wind (and believe me, you need it) whilst making guy ropes as visible as poles. At night, i might drape led string lights down the storm straps for extra visibility.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:51 am

CMM303
dunno if this is of any interest but.
I secure our second pole, when on site, behind the roof staples and lock them in position with two rubber door wedges through the staples, cant reach the middle staple except thru AFT net,and secure the horizontal awning pole to that.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:58 am

Bongolia wrote:CMM303
dunno if this is of any interest but.
I secure our second pole, when on site, behind the roof staples and lock them in position with two rubber door wedges through the staples, cant reach the middle staple except thru AFT net,and secure the horizontal awning pole to that.
rubber wedges, smart idea. Love it simple and cheap! By staples, do you mean the black angled brackets that are exposed when AFT raised?

At the bash somebody pointed me to Wilko extending clothes line props! £3!! Feels more rigid than my old gazebo poles though not tried it out yet.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:15 pm

Yes.
Just looked at mine and I thought the "staples" formed part of the AFT lock down, but it appears not, are they just guides?
Do you store your poles attached to the "staples" and lower the roof down over them?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:34 pm

The black "staples" have nothing to do with the AFT at all, merely fixings for things hung on the side of the van, hence why there only on the nearside.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:44 pm

Well Ill be, hadnt noticed there were none on the nearside! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:29 pm

@@"%**@!!!! I meant Offside!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:50 pm

Bongolia wrote:Yes.
Just looked at mine and I thought the "staples" formed part of the AFT lock down, but it appears not, are they just guides?
Do you store your poles attached to the "staples" and lower the roof down over them?
Yes. Top pics in my post on previous page show it stored for travelling. It is a close thing not to foul the AFT rubber seal. The extending washing line pole would be quicker and easier.
g8dhe wrote:The black "staples" have nothing to do with the AFT at all, merely fixings for things hung on the side of the van, hence why there only on the nearside.
didn't Mazda sell some sort of awning which utilised these brackets?
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:42 am

g8dhe wrote:The black "staples" have nothing to do with the AFT at all, merely fixings for things hung on the side of the van, hence why there only on the nearside.

Yes they are called Tent Hooks.

Part number if required ...... S05E56G13

Good Luck.

Return to “Bongo Chat”