Bongo Decisions

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Alan2016
Bongonaut

Bongo Decisions

Post by Alan2016 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:21 pm

Sorry to the regulars, you must get sick of these threads but I'm also going through the process of trying to pick a Bongo...

My initial thoughts are to get an unconverted model initially though probably with a leisure battery. The main usage would be for weekends away (2 adults, 1 or 2 kids and a small dog) or days out (4 adults, a child or 2 and a dog). We might also have the odd longer trip once or twice a year, perhaps including a foray to the continent, depending on how comfortable we find the setup. The unconverted flavour seems to give us the most options and we can use it for a while before deciding if we want to convert it.

At the moment I don't really have a preference for petrol or diesel. I'd like something reliable that will get us where we're going, though not necessarily at break-neck speed. Is one better than the other or are they all pretty similar in terms of reliability?

From and age v mileage perspective am I better to go for fewer miles than fewer years? For example I've seen a diesel from 2000 with 100 000 miles and a 1997 V6 with 45 000 miles. Both are similar prices and the bodywork seems to be in a similar condition but would both still have a lot of life left in them? Ideally I'd like something from around 2000 with less than 60000 miles but I'm having trouble finding one of those for reasonable money. I know that European Breakdown Cover can be harder to find for older cars but the RAC and AA both seem happy to cover cars over 20 years (for a price).

Northern Bongolow has kindly offered to initiate me into all things Bongo on Sunday but I'm off for a drive around some dealers on Saturday so any advice before then would be much appreciated :)

Thanks a lot

Alan
cmm303
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo Decisions

Post by cmm303 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:46 pm

Few rights and wrongs here, it is what is right for you. So I think it is a good call to buy unconverted and make your conversion decision after living with it.

AFT or tin top. (Lifting roof or not). Sounds like you'd need the AFT

Other main choice unconverted is the seat configuration. Some have 2 rows of bench seats in the back and rails that run the full length, allowing either bench to be slid into almost any position. Others have one bench seat on short rails and two flip up seats at the back. Probably no clear winner, but personal preference.

Engines and age. Condition and history of TLC is more important than age. Diesel with 100k miles (check they really are miles and not km. MOT records can be incorrect) still has a plenty left in it, esp if properly maintained. The only difficulty may be selling if you add on another 60k just because high mileage makes many buyers nervous.

The 2l petrol engine is the simplest and cheapest to maintain but lacks grunt for towing. Though not towing, sounds like you anticipate being usually loaded to the gunnels then this engine may not be for you. Personal preference between the 2.5l petrol (V6) and diesel. Older V6 are not as common as diesels so combined with low mileage it could explain the relatively high price.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:29 pm

for what its worth my shout would be for a early model diesel, the last of these are i think S plate, these have the simpler ecu (no limp mode) tougher turbo and a fuel pump that will cope with veg oil better for when the price of fuel goes back up. these are easier to maintain at home. you can get the modern facelift on an early car if its looks that grab you.

petrol v6 often appear a better deal but the maintenance costs can be quite high, ignition parts like distributor. other parts like timing belt, cam seals etc. they have a lot of sensors that can cause problems including cats on the exhaust side, on the plus side gas is an option.

the main decision should really be made on condition and any available service info, you can get a bad bongo that is newer or fresh import, and a good bongo that is older or higher milage that has been maintained to death, given good maintenance they are all really good everyday motors that give you holidays as a bonus. whats not to like.
Alan2016
Bongonaut

Post by Alan2016 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:45 pm

Great advice, thanks guys
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:27 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:for what its worth my shout would be for a early model diesel, the last of these are i think S plate, these have the simpler ecu (no limp mode) tougher turbo and a fuel pump that will cope with veg oil better for when the price of fuel goes back up. these are easier to maintain at home. you can get the modern facelift on an early car if its looks that grab you.

petrol v6 often appear a better deal but the maintenance costs can be quite high, ignition parts like distributor. other parts like timing belt, cam seals etc. they have a lot of sensors that can cause problems including cats on the exhaust side, on the plus side gas is an option.

the main decision should really be made on condition and any available service info, you can get a bad bongo that is newer or fresh import, and a good bongo that is older or higher milage that has been maintained to death, given good maintenance they are all really good everyday motors that give you holidays as a bonus. whats not to like.

Sorry to hijack but is there a way to know if you have the simpler engine or more complex?

I have a T plate facelift diesel AWD. Just wondering which version of the engine I have! Any tell tale signs?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:20 pm

if you search through this link it shows all the different models and ages. ian at fury may have information/records that are accurate via a vin number.

the turbo is different on the later models and they have a cooler (a big lump of useless scrap bolted to the nearside of the engine).

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/

Return to “Bongo Chat”