Day 6 Bongo disaster!

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

ktsok
Junior Bongonaut

Day 6 Bongo disaster!

Post by ktsok » Thu May 19, 2016 7:32 pm

So I was reversing out of a parking space in a tight turn, heard a crunch. Looked underneath and couldn't see anything obvious at first. Drove forward and the steering didn't feel right, particularly on right turns. Looked again, nothing hanging off. Drove very slowly to my local garage, having a bad moment when I braked and the van leapt to the right, and discovered when I got there that the front lower arm had shorn in two! My mechanic said he hadn't seen anything like it and couldn't believe Billie had got me there. The dealer is paying for the replacement, no quibbles, but it was a nasty moment. Thankfully she should be good to go tomorrow so we can have our weekend away as planned. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Day 6 Bongo disaster!

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu May 19, 2016 7:44 pm

ktsok wrote:So I was reversing out of a parking space in a tight turn, heard a crunch. Looked underneath and couldn't see anything obvious at first. Drove forward and the steering didn't feel right, particularly on right turns. Looked again, nothing hanging off. Drove very slowly to my local garage, having a bad moment when I braked and the van leapt to the right, and discovered when I got there that the front lower arm had shorn in two! My mechanic said he hadn't seen anything like it and couldn't believe Billie had got me there. The dealer is paying for the replacement, no quibbles, but it was a nasty moment. Thankfully she should be good to go tomorrow so we can have our weekend away as planned. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Hmmm - did it have a rust/corrosion problem (the wishbones do corrode over the years). And if so, what is the other one like? I think a rust inspection is in order. Any signs of rust anywhere else? How old is the Bongo?
ktsok
Junior Bongonaut

Post by ktsok » Thu May 19, 2016 7:54 pm

It's just been Mot'd and my garage had a look under last Monday, didn't spot anything untoward. They'll be tapping every bit of metal they can find tomorrow, including the passenger side lower arm. It's 21 years old so yes, there is some corrosion but I am told this would have been hard to predict...
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu May 19, 2016 8:39 pm

ktsok wrote:It's just been Mot'd and my garage had a look under last Monday, didn't spot anything untoward. They'll be tapping every bit of metal they can find tomorrow, including the passenger side lower arm. It's 21 years old so yes, there is some corrosion but I am told this would have been hard to predict...
I guess though that if one wishbone was at the end of its life, the other may be getting close. It'll be interesting to see how this develops and good luck with it. Knackered wishbones on old Bongos are not uncommon i believe. Good waxoyling promotes longevity mind you.

Return to “Bongo Chat”