Rear spring locators

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Vhn.Evans
Apprentice Bongonaut

Rear spring locators

Post by Vhn.Evans » Tue May 10, 2016 9:57 pm

Hi,

Added Airlift to the rear of the Bongo last week after trying to find as much information as I could first as not attempted something like this before.

Seemed to go in ok (eventually), and had to compress the spring in the end to get it in. I had a good look and could not see a slot or particular place for the spring to go back in, so fitted it back with the Airlift and spacers etc in place.

Watched an episode of Wheeler Dealers earlier, and on this Mercedes SL he changed the springs and mentioned about a spring locator at the bottom of the spring when putting it back in. This go me wondering if there was a similar one on the Bongo as I did not see it, so it may just be certain makes/models that have this.

Is anyone able to confirm if there is a particular spring locator on the Bongo? I don't really fancy going to all the effort of looking for it if there is not one to look for.

Cheers
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Rear spring locators

Post by Simon Jones » Wed May 11, 2016 12:01 am

They can only really go in one place. As a general rule when do anything with suspension or brakes, it's a good idea to do one side at a time so you have the other side for reference when it comes to putting it all back together (although it typically is a mirror image of the other side). Anyway, dunno if theses are of any use:

Vhn.Evans
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Rear spring locators

Post by Vhn.Evans » Wed May 11, 2016 5:58 am

Simon Jones wrote:They can only really go in one place. As a general rule when do anything with suspension or brakes, it's a good idea to do one side at a time so you have the other side for reference when it comes to putting it all back together (although it typically is a mirror image of the other side). Anyway, dunno if theses are of any use:

Thanks Simon. As you say they only seem to go in one way, it just threw me a bit when I saw that clip on TV that I may have missed something.

It may be that particular car had this lower spring stop locator, but most don't have them. Was a bit concerned if it was something obvious that I had missed that all cars had.

Return to “Techie Stuff”