Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

MikeHighlands
Apprentice Bongonaut

Seat Belt Rear Facing Seat

Post by MikeHighlands » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:44 am

https://uk.pinterest.com/michaeljdenmark/bongo/

Hi All,

I bought my Bongo (well a Ford Freda actually) last year. At the time I only had my son and I to think about so I wasn't too concerned about the amount of seats it had. Anyway, shortly after buying it I started going out with someone who has two kids. Unfortunately this means that if we want to go somewhere in the van we need five seats and my van only has four! The only fifth seat available is the small folding bench seat that sits behind the front passenger seat (I have tried to attach a photo of it, but I'm not sure if it will show). If the front passenger seat is pulled forward there is room to sit someone on the rear facing bench seat and someone with small legs in the front seat, meaning I can carry all five of us in the van.

I contacted Police Scotland to try and find out if it is legal to use this as a passenger seat. They replied that it was not a requirement to have a seat belt for a rear facing seat, but that it would be up for a court to decide if my rear facing bench seat was legal or not. I also have to consider my ex-wife who has decided that for me to carry anybody without a seat belt is outrageously unsafe and that she doesn't want me carrying my son in the van unless everybody has a seat belt.

So, I would like to use the van in the summer for us all five of us to go on holiday (two adults and three children), but it is not going to happen unless I can find someone to fit some sort of seat belt for the rear facing fold down bench seat, or, if somebody can suggest an alternative whereby maybe I could get some kind of folding child's seat attached behind the front passenger seat.

I contacted my usual mechanic but he didn't really want to fit a seat belt. I contacted Highland Campervans but they won't retro fit any seat belts. I contacted a conversion company in Central Scotland but he said it wasn't possible. Does anybody please know of a garage or mechanic who would fit me a seat belt there, or could fit an alternative child's seat there. I am in Inverness, but I don't mind driving to England if needs be (but the North is obviously far more convenient).

Many thanks and sorry for the overly long email.
Michael.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Seat Belt Rear Facing Seat

Post by g8dhe » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:17 pm

Those stools are not really meant for travelling purposes, and would be hard on the seat after just a few minutes let alone an hour or two of travel!!
Is your van converted? because the normal bench seats will take three ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
MikeHighlands
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by MikeHighlands » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:06 pm

The van has a side conversion with a rock'n'roll bed. That is why there is only room for two front facing passenger seats in the back. Is there any way I can get the van adapted to carry five passengers?
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:43 am

Forgetting how uncomfortable it would be I really don't think using the stool for traveling sounds safe at all whether there is a seat belt or not. remember there is no back rest, just the back of the passengers seat. In a heavy front imapact the force of the child would be pushing on the seat back potentially causing more injury to the front passenger too. Im not surprised that no one will retro fit a seat belt for you.
I believe that traveling on rear facing seats is far safer than front facing but only if they are proper seats with proper back rests.
Unfortunately I think your only option might be to change your conversion type, used conversions normally get snapped up no problem on ebay.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:44 am

Hi,
I can seat 6 in my side conversion bongo.
Where you have your bench seat I have 2 of the normal bongo seats, with belts, facing the rear.
Could you have your bench seat removed and get an original double seat put back in?
Bit of a fag, but it would solve your problem.
MikeHighlands
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by MikeHighlands » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:52 pm

Thanks for the replies,

I made a mistake calling it a bench seat, I have now seen pictures of those and they are something quite different. I should have called mine a 'stool' as that is probably more accurate.

I would drive hundreds of miles and happily get the seat changed if somebody could somehow adapt it to seat five.
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:08 pm

Can't help with knowing a suitable converter I'm afraid....just a point though - seat belts may not be necessary to make your vehicle legal, but most insurers will ask how many seat belted seats they are. Also - if you go abroad it is illegal to travel without a seat belt on any seat (although lap belts are OK on rear facing seats).
dnitu001
Bongonaut

Post by dnitu001 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:06 pm

Hello

If you have a look at the main page

Click on conversions. Igmaynard.co.uk/conversions/

If you the go down the page to

Either budget bongos

Or
Clear cut conversions

You will see they have used the original seats and runners.

These can be refitted

But will obviously mean loosing the rock and roll bed

Sell the bed pick up the seats and runners and have the original seat and lap belts back.

Hay oh everyone happy. ( yes I'm divorced). Have a court order stating I'm not a good husband signed by a judge.
Have that framed and hung by my old wedding photo

Return to “Bongo Chat”