Leisure battery query from a bongo nube and electrics Biff.

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Bongonube
Apprentice Bongonaut

Leisure battery query from a bongo nube and electrics Biff.

Post by Bongonube » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:22 pm

Hi I have a 1998 Mazda bongo and want to wild camp. At present it has a full rear conversion with smev hob and sink. It has a proper 240v hook up with fuse board in the rear. The van has only one battery. The hob and sink work from the vehicle battery along with blinds and lights etc but I don't want to end up stranded. I would like to fit a leisure battery but not sure what my best option is? There is also no battery tray for the second battery. Can I simply link two batteries together?
Any help much appreciated.
Regards Gary
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Leisure battery query from a bongo nube and electrics Bi

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:47 pm

Linking two batteries together isn't a good plan as you could just flatten both. What you need is a leisure battery controlled by a split-charging relay, then the starter battery gets charged by the alternator first, then the leisure battery, and you can flatten the leisure battery without affecting the starter battery so you'll never be stranded. The leisure battery would normally power your non-essential stuff - blinds, water-tap, cooker ignition, fridge, interior lights, radio etc :wink:

Also starter and leisure batteries are different, leisure batteries are deep-cycle so you can discharge them a lot more without causing them irreparable damage.
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:01 pm

You did not mention a fridge, assume your hobs are gas fired, (or 240v electric which is unusual) so you could get away with a solar panel to recharge the starter battery by day, especially if you use things like internal lights etc sparingly.
However as Muz says, a 2nd battery ( leisure) and all the associated relays etc is best.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:30 pm

Leisure battery with split charging relay running your "leisure needs" gives peace of mind = happier camping.

Lack of tray isn't a problem, extra one can be added in the mirror location to your current battery. Though not a complex job if you are not comfortable around electrics probably best get an auto electrician to do it. A converter would also be suitable as they would be comfortable making any necessary changes to the electrics in your conversion.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Bongonube
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bongonube » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:39 am

Thank you for replies. Does anyone know of a good garage / mechanic in the southwest near to bath, westbury area that could complete a leisure battery and split charge relay system without costing the earth.

Or does anyone know of a complete kit that has everything that I need. Battery tray, clamps, relay etc.

Thanks again
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:13 am

Bell Hill Garage, Norton St Phillip, are Bongo experts.

Don't know if they do electrical work or what they charge but worth asking.

http://www.bellhillgarage.com/

And welcome to BF. :D

Any auto electrician could do this, though, but there's something to be said for using Bongo savvy garages if you can - and definitely for the cooling system. :wink:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:26 am

And:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-Bongo-F ... 1535811433

http://www.newdawnconversions.co.uk/app ... ow/3266030

Can't vouch for either but New Dawn Conversions are well thought of.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:19 am

There used to be a Willinton split charge relay (or is it Willington) available which neatly fits into the blanked off clutch mount. (Only suitable for autos). Though not available anymore threads on here suggest similar are available.

A search (option at top right) on here for adding a leisure battery brings up a wealth of info.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:26 am

The swapsy harness is a doddle to fit in half an hour ..

I dunno why the camper van converter never bothered .. so I fitted a genuine Willinton one to mine ..

Wiring in to the Bongos fuse box is childs play ..

here are several similar and very good swapsy harness available ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”