Roof conversion advice

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

bobbish foot
Apprentice Bongonaut

Roof conversion advice

Post by bobbish foot » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:51 pm

Hi, I'm soon to be the owner of a tin top and looking to get the roof converted. Having spent a bit of time on the forum and doing some online research, I wondered if anyone on the forum could offer advice on or experience of the following options and associated pros/cons:

1. Drivelodge elevating roof
2. Skylift elevating roof (I think this is only offered by JAL)
3. Original AFT fitting (as offered by Bongo worx/body workshop)

Please PM if necessary.

Thanks

Bob
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Roof conversion advice

Post by Bob » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:13 pm

Hi Bob

Welcome to BF. :)

Stourport is coming up soon, do pop in and have a chat with owners of various roof types, we'll all chat endlessly.

Ours has a factory AFT which is very good, no experience of the aftermarket ones. 8)
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:28 pm

Ours is a standard factory AFT, the motors failed last year. So worth considering that issue if retro fitting an aft.
alant54
Tribal Elder

Post by alant54 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:13 am

Hi Bob...welcome to the asylum..... :roll:

If you include your general location in your details then somebody local to you could pop up with advice using local knowledge...... :D

Alan
Alan...still plodding on....!
bobbish foot
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bobbish foot » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:23 am

alant54 wrote:Hi Bob...welcome to the asylum..... :roll:

If you include your general location in your details then somebody local to you could pop up with advice using local knowledge...... :D

Alan

Thanks have updated! :D
HappyChappy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by HappyChappy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:54 am

Hi everyone and thanks for posting this Bob.

I am also hoping for advice on this topic of aftermarket roofs.

Any help or advice on what to look out for or who to avoid would be greatly appreciated.

If you dont want to post publicly then please PM me also.

Cheers

Gregg
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:19 pm

I bought a tintop and was originally going to have a Drivelodge roof, having spent 2 days at the Bash last year talking to people and looking at their bongos.

Then when it came down to the crunch I was persuaded to have the JAL Skylift fitted (I bought from JAL, which is a requirement for this roof). I don't believe JAL will fit a Skylift to a bongo bought elsewhere.

Although initially I was a little worried about the weight of the Skylift I am now getting on OK with it. I was advised that the heavier roof is a stronger roof. The only issue I have is that I need a telescopic ladder to reach the clips on the top of the roof! The ladder is stored inside the roof whilst the roof is down, and being telescopic is not too big to store while the roof is up.

With hindsight, I think I would have preferred a roof that clips down on the inside, which I believe the Drivelodge does, negating the necessity of a ladder! Also the Drivelodge has a wind deflector on the front of the roof, but the Skylift does not.

I hope this helps.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
bobbish foot
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bobbish foot » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:08 pm

Jillygumbo wrote:I bought a tintop and was originally going to have a Drivelodge roof, having spent 2 days at the Bash last year talking to people and looking at their bongos.

Then when it came down to the crunch I was persuaded to have the JAL Skylift fitted (I bought from JAL, which is a requirement for this roof). I don't believe JAL will fit a Skylift to a bongo bought elsewhere.

Although initially I was a little worried about the weight of the Skylift I am now getting on OK with it. I was advised that the heavier roof is a stronger roof. The only issue I have is that I need a telescopic ladder to reach the clips on the top of the roof! The ladder is stored inside the roof whilst the roof is down, and being telescopic is not too big to store while the roof is up.

With hindsight, I think I would have preferred a roof that clips down on the inside, which I believe the Drivelodge does, negating the necessity of a ladder! Also the Drivelodge has a wind deflector on the front of the roof, but the Skylift does not.

I hope this helps.
Yes it does, thanks very much for your advice.
bobbish foot
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bobbish foot » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:09 pm

HappyChappy wrote:Hi everyone and thanks for posting this Bob.

I am also hoping for advice on this topic of aftermarket roofs.

Any help or advice on what to look out for or who to avoid would be greatly appreciated.

If you dont want to post publicly then please PM me also.

Cheers

Gregg
Will PM you Gregg
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:08 am

We have heard a rumour that JAL are about to release a new electronic versions of sky-lift and mushroom roofs with remote control. But no idea when it is likely to be available.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:29 pm

Ian wrote:We have heard a rumour that JAL are about to release a new electronic versions of sky-lift and mushroom roofs with remote control. But no idea when it is likely to be available.
Mmmmmm you will still have to buy a JAL bongo to get one!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”