Urgent advice required re: rear brake disc removal

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Urgent advice required re: rear brake disc removal

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:45 pm

hi all :). Betty still going strong (with tlc). OH trying to replace the rear discs but having problems. Has anyone done this recently and could give step by step directions? Fingers crossed x
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Re: Urgent advice required re: rear brake disc removal

Post by dave_aber » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:52 pm

There was a write-up on the now defunct Wiki.

I don't have a copy of that to hand, but the process is relatively straightforward:

Jack up, remove wheel, etc.
Remove caliper and caliper carrier
Un-wind the handbrake adjuster - this may be where your OH is hitting a problem. The handbrake is a small drum brake inside the hub of the disc. Remove the rubber plug in the hub face, rotate it to the bottom and have a look through the hole with a torch - you should see a yellow-ish cog edge-on. I can't remember which way it has to be turned, but if you go the wrong way, the hub will lock up. Go the other way. Once it's been backed off a bit, the disc will then be able to clear the handbrake shoes which catch on the inner lip otherwise.
Refitting is the reverse etc. Adjust the handbrake until the shoes are touching, then back it off 2 clicks.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:09 pm

dave_aber wrote:There was a write-up on the now defunct Wiki.

I don't have a copy of that to hand, but the process is relatively straightforward:

Un-wind the handbrake adjuster - this may be where your OH is hitting a problem. The handbrake is a small drum brake inside the hub of the disc. Remove the rubber plug in the hub face, rotate it to the bottom and have a look through the hole with a torch - you should see a yellow-ish cog edge-on. I can't remember which way it has to be turned, but if you go the wrong way, the hub will lock up. Go the other way. Once it's been backed off a bit, the disc will then be able to clear the handbrake shoes which catch on the inner lip otherwise.
Refitting is the reverse etc. Adjust the handbrake until the shoes are touching, then back it off 2 clicks.
Thanks, will pass the info on. Much appreciated mate..
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:50 pm

dave_aber wrote:There was a write-up on the now defunct Wiki.

Thanks, they got them off :)

Return to “Techie Stuff”