newbie to bongos,newbie to the forum, already broken down !

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Russ1000
Apprentice Bongonaut

newbie to bongos,newbie to the forum, already broken down !

Post by Russ1000 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:21 pm

hello, i'm Russ, i live in france, and have maybe just made a bad mistake ! So i bought a bongo friday in england, broke down sunday just as i got it back to france ! it had apparently been leaking for a couple of miles but my girlfriend followinng thought it was the waste water draining out...
It over heated pratically up to the top before i noticed, i stopped obviously, there was spits of water and steam coming out from under the sill slightly behind the drivers door post (the shutting edge post, key end of door panel), there's what i would class as a medium size metal water pipe with a couple of medium sized rubber hose that branch off, one seems to go to a joint in the floor panel. any way this pipe is rusted thru and covered with underseal... so i tried a quick boge with magic metal and silicone see if it would get me home, didn't even hold water by the time i'd cleaned the pipe a bit three new pinprick holes.
any way i think this must be the heater supply pipe? but this is the first time i've looked under a bongo !
Ian has advised a pressure test seeing as where i got it from... this does not reassure me at all !
By the way the van has already been in the club, it has the sticker in the back window,and a couple of others elsewhere, T342 UBA is the reg number, if this was your van before or you knew of it please contact me...
if anyone can hep out indentifing this pipe and advise me on where to go from here...
Thanks everyone and ian for your help already...
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Re: newbie to bongos,newbie to the forum, already broken dow

Post by haydn callow » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:00 pm

Sounds like the rear heater pipes.....there are 2 of them.....input and output...you can disconnect them both and either blank them off or join them together......however, having no done that you must refill and bleed the cooling system.......see the YouTube videos on how to do this properly.....YOU MUST DO IT PROPERLY...hopefully you haven't damaged anything yet but failing to bleed it correctly will be serious.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
lpgimports
Bongolier

Post by lpgimports » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:46 pm

fairly common problem sadly, you can get a hard plastic T piece as used in Autogas conversions and put this where the T in metal pipe is and a couple of pipe joiners and a length of heater hose and some jubilee clips and recreate the pipe in rubber hose and these joiners and T and then ensure jubilees are tight (Norma clips are better) and then bleed per instructions. IF petrol you probably ot away with it, if Diesel high possibility of Head gasket or head issues if it got hot.

BUT make sure you BLEED it properly and check for no further leaks before attempting driving it. Cannot emphasis this enough..
Russ1000
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Russ1000 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:23 pm

cheers chaps! yeh it's a diesel and the gauge got nearly up to the top before i noticed...
Haydn think i'll be orderinga low coolant alarm soon lol !
lpgimports, bugger just ordered a new pipe ! wish I'd seen your emergency repair first !!
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:26 pm

That's not an easy pipe to replace either, it was installed by Mazda early in the production process without a view to it coming out again. A fair amount of dismantling is needed to get the new one in place.

Return to “Techie Stuff”