Awning Rail

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Scratch
Bongolier

Awning Rail

Post by Scratch » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:50 am

Has anyone attached a one piece awning rail as sold by Camper Essentials? It looks a very tidy way of attaching the awning but I am concerned at having to drill holes in the Bongo.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Re: Awning Rail

Post by Bongoplod » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:41 pm

No, but cant see any difference from drilling into the sides of a caravan ,where they are usually fitted,and they dont leak on them.

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:48 pm

True, although most caravan outer skins are not made of steel so there are are no problems of corrosion.
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:45 pm

My awning rail is fastened under the AFT and works with my caravan store roll out or my drive away awning. Search Caravanstore and you might be able to find it.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:26 pm

i did it a few years ago, mount it just inside the roof seal line, on the high spot on the roof pressing to help keep it water tight.

i got a length of caravan awning rail and ally welded 2 little ally plates along its length to fit into the 2 black metal loops mounting points via a bolt, sealed it all with body panel sealer then riveted through the awning rail to the roof, it worked well with a caravan store bag type awning.
plan it well to allow for the roof coming down and if needed put an inward curl on the awning rail to allow for the roof curve at the front end.

the best part of this approach is that most awnings that fit dont droop into the sliding door when the door is used as its well above.
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:11 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:i did it a few years ago, mount it just inside the roof seal line, on the high spot on the roof pressing to help keep it water tight.

i got a length of caravan awning rail and ally welded 2 little ally plates along its length to fit into the 2 black metal loops mounting points via a bolt, sealed it all with body panel sealer then riveted through the awning rail to the roof, it worked well with a caravan store bag type awning.
plan it well to allow for the roof coming down and if needed put an inward curl on the awning rail to allow for the roof curve at the front end.

the best part of this approach is that most awnings that fit dont droop into the sliding door when the door is used as its well above.
This is where I stole the idea from and had it on 2 vans up to now.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:24 pm

we dont steal from each other mate, we borrow and improve. 8) 8) .
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:32 pm

One big Bongo family, we always look after and help each other out if we can.
Some of the people on Facebook are just there for an argument I think, really winds me up!
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:06 am

I forgot my figure of 8's at a meet once however the awning rail was also in the bag, a guy gave me a lone of 3 dent removal suction cups which I attached to the bongo and the tied the awning rail to the levers on the suction cups. Worked perfect it was quite windy but the rail stayed secure, I now have several of these cups as backup in the bongo at all times. Only issue I had with them curved surfaces are no use it has to be fairly flat for a strong hold.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”