Has anyone used a Royal Leisure Traveller Annexe Drive Away

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

cmm303
Supreme Being

Re: Has anyone used a Royal Leisure Traveller Annexe Drive A

Post by cmm303 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:52 pm

marionw wrote:I have experienced very high winds whilst in the Bongo and the bar has never shifted from the brackets.

It can be threaded so it sits behind 2 of the brackets and under one for a bit extra grip.
Useful tip. Thanks
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:09 pm

marionw wrote:I have experienced very high winds whilst in the Bongo and the bar has never shifted from the brackets.

It can be threaded so it sits behind 2 of the brackets and under one for a bit extra grip.

We ended up going for something similar. Which do you go behind/in front? The only way I could get our bar in was to go in front of the far right one, then in front of the strut, then behind the next hook and finally in front of the front hook. This way it is quite secure but not perfect. I then used 2 of the big clips to hold the bar to the hooks. Seemed to do the job well in the storm. The main reason I went for this method over the gutter method was I get a bit of extra head height. It all looks neater too. Much quicker, easier and more secure than the figure of 8 method.
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:43 pm

Was camping last week so took extra notice of how I thread pole.

As you say, best and easiest, because of strut is, in front of 1st hook, behind middle on and in front of strut and rear hook.

Always stayed secure for me. :)
Eye Guy
Bongonaut

Post by Eye Guy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:59 pm

If you use the figure 8 (I have the same awning, newly acquired!) do you 'slide' them on to the gutter rail, or 'clip' them on? And how do you get them back off if you want to drive away?
I presume the figure 8 stay attached to the awning, not the van in this case?
Thanks
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:33 pm

Eye Guy wrote:If you use the figure 8 (I have the same awning, newly acquired!) do you 'slide' them on to the gutter rail, or 'clip' them on? And how do you get them back off if you want to drive away?
Thanks
Fig 8 clips on by pulling downwards over the gutter. Then I thread in awning. Taking them off can be tough needing a forceful sharp push upwards. When driving away I have done both, unthread the awning or just push the fig 8s off. Either way I slacken the front guys so the awning can lean a little towards the van to give me a bit of slack. Some peeps leave fig 8s on the van, personally I don't because 2 of mine are quite loose.
Different awning to you but principles should be similar.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:44 pm

cmm303 wrote:
Eye Guy wrote:If you use the figure 8 (I have the same awning, newly acquired!) do you 'slide' them on to the gutter rail, or 'clip' them on? And how do you get them back off if you want to drive away?
Thanks
Fig 8 clips on by pulling downwards over the gutter. Then I thread in awning. Taking them off can be tough needing a forceful sharp push upwards. When driving away I have done both, unthread the awning or just push the fig 8s off. Either way I slacken the front guys so the awning can lean a little towards the van to give me a bit of slack. Some peeps leave fig 8s on the van, personally I don't because 2 of mine are quite loose.
Different awning to you but principles should be similar.
The figure of 8's sound such a pain in comparison to the pole method, they also make the height too low so the water pools on top. I strongly recommend that people use the pole instead - much more secure, easier to attach and detach to drive away and makes it higher so the water just runs off.
Eye Guy
Bongonaut

Post by Eye Guy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:05 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Will look out for some clamps and give the pole method a go next time.
Cheers.
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:14 pm

I don't use clamps.
Just the pole. No damage to paintwork and easily un-hooked for driving away.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”