Whoosing, clattery sound - 2L

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Paul Eden
Junior Bongonaut

Whoosing, clattery sound - 2L

Post by Paul Eden » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:15 am

Hi All

Wonder if anyone can diagnose why I am getting a clattery, whoosing sound from under the bonnet when I start my 2.0 petrol Freda. It goes off after a while once the engine has warmed up and is worse at lower speed/higher revs. I'm guessing something to do with coolant system, belts or starter motor? Also noticed the temperature dial seems to be behaving a bit erratically.

Cheers

Paul :?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Whoosing, clattery sound

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:47 am

Interesting since the engine isn't under the bonnet, though I guess something at the front of the engine could leak sound through to the underbonnet area. From the symptoms I'd be wary of driving it far until the cause has been determined. It could be faulty fanbelts or water pump for example. How long has it being doing it?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:52 am

Only things that could make sounds like that would be either the radiator fans or the cabin air fan.
But I suspect that anything at the front of the engine could be mistaken as under the bonnet as well, so the belts or Air Con. compressor are more likely.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Paul Eden
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Paul Eden » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:39 am

Thanks for replies. Only started a couple of days ago. How urgent do you think this may be (I know that depends on what it is but I have to make a trip in a few days).

Paul
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:54 am

I would imagine the first checks should be the coolant level in the header tank and the drive belts and pulleys .
Paul Eden
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Paul Eden » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:35 am

The coolant level is fine. On investigation I discovered the clip holding the bonnet support rod had failed and the rod was lying loose. I think this accounts for the clatter as all I have now is a whirring noise which increases as the revs increase and disappears once the engine is warm.

Return to “Techie Stuff”