What awning shall I get?

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

stuc
Supreme Being

Re: What awning shall I get?

Post by stuc » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:07 am

Go to a local motorhome builder/repairer they usually have offcuts lying about scrap. They gave me 2 bits for mine free.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:18 pm

Just grabbed mine up the road at Chelston Motorhomes. £11 for 3M - happy with that :-) (Try looking up Reimo awning rails, which VW'ers seem to insist on. £50-£60 lol)
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:25 pm

Mine's done! Oddly I have a 255 but it's longer than the roof. It's no problem but it does stick out of the AFT a bit at the front.

I also found the top struts would not click into place (too long) as the mounting sockets are a reasonable distance away from the awnign rail (on a caravan it would lie flat against a wall) so I drilled an extra hole in the last section of the roof struts 4.5cm inwards to allow a slightly shorter extention.

My roof closes, just. I think I could have mounted the awnign rail slightly more towards the edge of the vehicle. I might lift up the back section tomorrow and pull it out a bit.

http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
Marbleous
Bongonaut

Post by Marbleous » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:25 pm

Awning finally fitted. Thanks very much Mike for coming over.

It is the T3 Brackets you need but they need CONSIDERABLE alteration that requires redrilling the hole and shaving 2mm off the wider end of the s-shaped bracket. We would have been thwarted had it not been for the fact I live next door to a retired engineer with all the necessary tools at his disposal.

I am thrilled with the result but still in a state of disbelief about the size of the 'small adjustment' that needed to be made to the bracket!

Can't wait to get out in my van!
hotpot8200
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by hotpot8200 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:33 pm

Hi what type of rail did you use and where did you get it from please do you have a link
Ta
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:19 pm

[quote="Dodgey"]Mine's done! Oddly I have a 255 but it's longer than the roof. It's no problem but it does stick out of the AFT a bit at the front.

I also found the top struts would not click into place (too long) as the mounting sockets are a reasonable distance away from the awnign rail (on a caravan it would lie flat against a wall) so I drilled an extra hole in the last section of the roof struts 4.5cm inwards to allow a slightly shorter extention.

My roof closes, just. I think I could have mounted the awnign rail slightly more towards the edge of the vehicle. I might lift up the back section tomorrow and pull it out a bit.

Mines a 255 as well and I have it pulled as far back as possible and it just fits under the roof.
The horizontal poles I had to drill some extra holes to get the tension on it right, but it's great to set up quickly.
Do what you like.Like what you do.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”