eBay madness (not the Bristol chap)

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

mountainmummy
Bongolier

eBay madness (not the Bristol chap)

Post by mountainmummy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:14 pm

Hi

I was bidding on a quechua base seconds shelter, my max bid was around £50, it eventually sold for £155! They only cost £139 brand new.

:roll: :shock: :roll: :shock:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/201313195791?nav=WATCHING_ENDED
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: eBay madness (not the Bristol chap)

Post by Bob » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:26 pm

Seen this many times on Flea Bay.

Make no sense. :roll:
blobber
Supreme Being

Post by blobber » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:15 pm

Imagine how much it would have sold for if the word Bongo had been used!!!
Alan & Dot

Yes sir, I can Bongo !!

I now walk with an angel by my side.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:28 am

I think they get excited and carried away with bidding

I've sold second hand stuff for more than it cost to buy new ?
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:10 pm

Some ebay prices are well OTT ..

Rather than coiling a meter of copper brake pipe around an heater pipe .. I was after a Paddy Hopkirk 'Hot Wash' .. a very simple 1960's devise which cost then around two quid it fitted into an heater pipe (errr ... it's .. NOT for my Bongo) .. that heated up the windscreen washer water ..

None on eBay .. just lecky instant heat versions .. for around ..... two hundred pounds .. mostly use on Land Rovers / Rally cars !!

So I Googled and found exactly the same lecky one for fifty pound .. well worth the search .. still relatively expensive ... but looks a good bit of kit ...
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:07 pm

I've fitted one of those heated washer kits on my Volvo and it certainly helps clear a frosty windscreen. I think there are a number of generic clones on the market and I wonder if HeatShot is a version of the original HotShot which I think came first: http://www.donmar.com/12volt/hotshot.htm
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:09 am

Hi
A few years back, I hunted round, and found a UK windscreen manufacturer who would make ...yes MAKE a run of Bongo HEATED windscreens to approved standards at a very reasonable price...plus they could have arranged distribution to windscreen fitters, and the number required for a run was small, and they would even make one-offs at a higher price...The cost was less than £200.00 for a hot wash gadget.
What a shame no-one was interested!!!!!...heated screens are the best thing since sliced bread!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
notlob
Bongolier

Post by notlob » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:10 pm

mountainmummy wrote:Hi

I was bidding on a quechua base seconds shelter, my max bid was around £50, it eventually sold for £155! They only cost £139 brand new.

:roll: :shock: :roll: :shock:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/201313195791?nav=WATCHING_ENDED
Supply and demand I think! As they stopped making them and there is not much else out there to match them, then they have a premium over the new price!
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:02 pm

mikeWalsall wrote:Some ebay prices are well OTT ..

Rather than coiling a meter of copper brake pipe around an heater pipe .. I was after a Paddy Hopkirk 'Hot Wash' .. a very simple 1960's devise which cost then around two quid it fitted into an heater pipe (errr ... it's .. NOT for my Bongo) .. that heated up the windscreen washer water ..

None on eBay .. just lecky instant heat versions .. for around ..... two hundred pounds .. mostly use on Land Rovers / Rally cars !!

So I Googled and found exactly the same lecky one for fifty pound .. well worth the search .. still relatively expensive ... but looks a good bit of kit ...
Couple of heated jets from Mondeo is what you need now Mike.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:18 pm

I have had heated jets on a few previous cars .. they work while the heated back window is on .. but only stop the nozzles freezing .. they do not heat the windscreen washer water ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”