Insurance challenge

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

bongoroy63
Bongolier

Insurance challenge

Post by bongoroy63 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:00 pm

I recently had my renewal notice come through from Direct Line for my Bongo. Quote was for £259.70 fully comprehensive for me and the wife. I went online and my put my details in as a new customer and got a quote for £179.14. I phoned them and mentioned the online quote. The lady said 'no problem, I'll match the online quote' and I signed the deal there and then. Moral of the story is don't accept the first renewal notice price challenge it!! I saved £80.
I can, I do, I did.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Insurance challenge

Post by Bob » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:02 pm

Significant saving for the sake of a phone call.

Lesson for all of us, and well done. 8)
notlob
Bongolier

Post by notlob » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:08 pm

Sounds like a very good price, was that as your main vehicle or as a second vehicle?

Dave
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:09 pm

Well done Roy. It always winds me up with the whole 'new customers only' approach that so many companies use these days. What ever happened to rewarding loyalty for long standing customers?
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:42 pm

This happens with all companies now, it would seem. I don't even bother wasting time online getting the quote, I just phone them up and say what is your best price, to stop me looking online. And funnily enough they still knock £100 off! Ridiculous!
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
bongoroy63
Bongolier

Post by bongoroy63 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:54 pm

Sounds like a very good price, was that as your main vehicle or as a second vehicle?

Dave

I have three vehicles including the Bongo. I had to start from scratch with my NCD when I insured my Bongo so this price is with only 2 years NCD. I do get my multi car discount as well. Your right Simon loyalty counts for nothing. I've been with Direct Line for years now and also have my home insurance with them as well. Better off being a new customer where the deals are better.
I can, I do, I did.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:50 pm

Flux have done mine fully comp as an 8 seater camper van all mods declared £185!
I did find quite a few who wouldn't touch it as its not a Camper on the log book and still has 8 seats
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:57 pm

Not once has my renewal quote been cheaper than running it around the usual insurance comparison sites. I do it every year without fail and suggest everyone does. Those robbers make up some rubbish that those prices are done on" aggregate". Anyway that lame excuse whatever it means does not rub with me and these profiteering companies should be given the treatment they rightly deserve.

Check online every year without fail and you will save a lot of money.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:59 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Well done Roy. It always winds me up with the whole 'new customers only' approach that so many companies use these days. What ever happened to rewarding loyalty for long standing customers?
I suspect statistically they profit more from pulling a fast one on existing customers. Pay them back for that treatment by never accepting a pricey renewal under any circumstances and leave them.

Daylight robbery [-X .
agreenthing
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by agreenthing » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:18 pm

Following the Direct Line post I tried to get a quote online but I get as far as the "Vehicle Model" box where Bongo is not an option and stall there. How do you get round that?
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:38 am

agreenthing wrote:Following the Direct Line post I tried to get a quote online but I get as far as the "Vehicle Model" box where Bongo is not an option and stall there. How do you get round that?

You need to put "E" in the model box it will then come up with 2 options for a Bongo, carry out the rest of the quote and if satisfactory give DL a phone to confirm that your vehicle meets the details.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:09 pm

rita wrote:
agreenthing wrote:Following the Direct Line post I tried to get a quote online but I get as far as the "Vehicle Model" box where Bongo is not an option and stall there. How do you get round that?

You need to put "E" in the model box it will then come up with 2 options for a Bongo, carry out the rest of the quote and if satisfactory give DL a phone to confirm that your vehicle meets the details.
The E Bongo is a totally different model to the Friendee. Quotes must be for a Friendee as it's a grey import, whereas E Bongoes were normal imports.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
agreenthing
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by agreenthing » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:44 pm

Thanks for the guidance with the "E" model - that gave a much lower quote which went up when I spoke with DL a second time but ended up "reasonable" and a whole lot lower than our first conversation. So that's a result from my first foray onto the forum - thanks again!
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:54 am

No problem glad to help, you could also double check the quote by putting in Ford then Freda (without the Reg No).

And as with All Grey imports confirm transaction with the Insurance Company if it does not state "Imports" particularly Japanese Imports.

Return to “Insurance”