Hold - code 66

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

giraffe

Hold - code 66

Post by giraffe » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:13 pm

Further to my unanswered cry for help i have gleaned more int that may aid you "techies" out there in my assist.
Ok, so the "hold light" was coming flashing and o/d loss after 15 kliks or so........
On Monday I removed the engine undertray for examination purposes. There's nothing strange or startling other than a slight engine oil weep from between the head and block - front right hand of lump just above the injector pump and a slight diesel leak! (also that pipe that requires an additional clip to prevent leakage? requires and additional clip 'cause it's leaking!)
I cleaned up the area and went off to work leaving the undertray in the workshop. I covered about 120 kliks during the evening, much more the following days, and she never kicked out once. She did kick out yesterday after sitting idling for about 15 minutes but "cured" after being switched off for 20 or so.
This all leads me to think (dangerous stuff i'm told) that the snag is heat related????

Has anyone come across a code 66? Am I reading this correctly?
6 long, pause, 1 long, pause, 6 short. repeat..........................

HMMMMMMM ANYONE????

Giraffe
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:31 pm

Have you read the factsheet in the menber's area giraffe?
I haven't heard of a 66 code.
TRhere's a link between the engine coolant temp. sendor and the gearbox - I found this out when I tried to bypass the glowplug timer and the gearbox went into default mode.............check the plug is securefrom the coolant sensor on the right side of the head.

Have you had the speedo chipped? Fault code 6 is a speedo output error.
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
Chris&Gem
Bongolier

Post by Chris&Gem » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:23 pm

Sounds like the devil may be involved, call for a priest.
antique

code66

Post by antique » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:45 am

hi it sounds like throttle control senser , which is fault code 12 ,i have looked at fault code chart 66 is not there , test all electric conections on side of fuel pump,sounds like dry joint bad conection?
giraffe

Post by giraffe » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:54 pm

Thanks guys, yis are getting me progress :-)
I went at Freda today and discovered an actuator valve located at the back of the inlet manifold. The rubber pipe had been removed and had a well glued in 8mm bolt in it. I reconnected it. The question is: WHAT IS THAT VALVE FOR?
Also, any ideas where the sensor for that cooling fan located under the front of the engine at 45 degrees??
The HoldLight has come on twice since but only after much idling and stop-start stuff. The snag is definatlly heat related.
Thanks DANDY, I looked for that coolant sensor but didn't identify anything obvious on the RHS of the head. I'm back under her on Thursday and will look again.

ANTIQUE, i did as you said and checked all those plugs etc. Ta.

Chris&Gem ..... hmmmm James 4:7 :-)

Much obliged for the help and interest.
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:54 pm

That valve will be the EGR and someone had kindly disabled it for you. I'd put the bolt back if I were you. That's not the source of your problem - sorry.
giraffe

Hold-66

Post by giraffe » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:12 pm

Hi Veg_Ian.
Please, what is the "ERG" valve and what purpose does it serve? I've put the bolt back in; read on!

The continuing saga of code 66....................
With the ERG valve disconnected the hold light came on after on after only 20 kliks. I've reconnected the pipe.

This "code 66. I have looked at the transmission fact sheet and there's no 66 associated with the tranny. But where to look for engine management codes, perhaps i'm just thick but i see no mention anywhere on site??

Again, is "66" the correct reading for: 6 long- pause, 1 long-pause, 6 short???

That priest may be needed yet eh :?
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:59 pm

The EGR is the Exhaust Gas Recirculating valve and it's there to cut emissions.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:46 am

Have a read at this thread for an update on EGR
http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... hlight=egr

Re your sensor problem. You sure that code isn't 6 - speed sensor? Have you got a wotsit on the back of the speedo head that converts km to miles? They can play up every so often and cause the hold light to come on intermittently.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:31 am

I offered that suggestion in post 2 Ian.............no response..... :?
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:06 pm

So you did Dandy - sorry to steal your thunder :cry:
giraffe

Post by giraffe » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:35 pm

Code 66 update.
The speedo is still in kliks. Sorry for clarifying that earlier.

Re the code 66? I'm still not sure I'm reading correctly?
6long flashes-pause, 1long flash-pause, 6short flashes.

[color=green]So far:
1/ Hold light on after 15 kliks.
2/ Removed engine undertray and hold light stays off unless idling for a period. Have not replaced same undertray.
3/ Reconnected EGR pipe and hold light came on after 15 kliks.
4/ Disconnected EGR and hold light does not come on under normal driving[/color].

Now, this would appear to be heat related??
There is a cooling fan under the front of the engine angled upwards presumably to cool the engine bay?? There must also be a sensor that activates that fan??
If that fan is not coming on would that raise the temp in the engine bay sufficiently to bring in the safty of the hold light etc.??

This pure conjecture on my part as the whole system seems to work whilst being cooled; ie with the undertray off.
[color=red]But that does not explain why the light comes on when the EGR is connected.[/color]Any ideas??

Again, thanks for your time in interest :)

giraffe
antique

code 66

Post by antique » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:15 pm

hi what about disconecting wires going to sensors etc , one at time to try and create the problem ?
Last edited by antique on Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
adam

Post by adam » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:03 pm

giraffe wrote:
Now, this would appear to be heat related??
There is a cooling fan under the front of the engine angled upwards presumably to cool the engine bay?? There must also be a sensor that activates that fan??
If that fan is not coming on would that raise the temp in the engine bay sufficiently to bring in the safty of the hold light etc.??

Again, thanks for your time in interest :)

giraffe
This is the scavenger fan. The temp senser for this fan is located under your centre console slightly in front of the hand brake(ish).You can disconect the conecter to the senser and short the cables out to prove the scavenger fan works.I don not know how to test the sensor as i cant find out at what temp the fan is meant to start working, and i also do not know if this would have anything to do with your flashing hold light/code.

good luck
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:39 pm

No code for the scavenger fan unless you've found an undocumented one (616 by the sounds of it :? ). The EGR shouldn't have anything to do with this so I'm wondering if your blocked tube really is the one to the EGR diaphragm. Any chance you could post a piccy of said blocked tube?

Return to “Techie Stuff”