Using water with no noticeable symptoms

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

rita
Supreme Being

Re: Using water with no noticeable symptoms

Post by rita » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:58 am

The " sooty puddle " will probably be caused by a bust exhaust, it would surprise you how much Water actually travels through a sooty exhaust system.(especially when doing short journey's)

It is known by some peeps to drill a small hole then ring weld the water trap areas of the silencer etc.
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:58 pm

Cheers. New middle section going in later today.

I removed a LOT of water in the header to get it back down to the max mark. My bottle needs a clean inside - I can hardly see! Will see how it goes....
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
Distilled Waters Run Deep
Bongolier

Post by Distilled Waters Run Deep » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:03 pm

To revive this, my Freda has lost a cupful of water every few days for years, but now is using a litre and a half over thirty miles, and dropping even if the car's not used. There is no sign of a leak anywhere, the pressure test at the header tank didn't reveal anything alarming (no dips and spikes when revving), and the fluid is clear. (TBH at the cost at the moment it is all water....) Is it likely that a wet patch in the boot is the rear heater leaking or is that a roof problem (and may I hope that the leak is at the water pump)?
Freda AFT: Haydn/Mason alarms + engine head temperature sensor.

Moto Guzzi California Jackal X reg
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:57 pm

Whereabouts in the rear is the damp patch? Does it smell of coolant? Might be worth trying to get to the bottom of the leak before it gets too cold otherwise there is a risk of freezing which could cause more damage.
Bongolier

Post by Distilled Waters Run Deep » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:36 pm

The wet patch is at the driver's side on the bottom layer of carpet, and has spread across the upper carpet. I shall have to put some coolant in to get a smell anywhere, but even at a fiver a week if I leave it standing that's better than the damage freezing (or rusting) will cause :-(
Smell may be the way to go actually, rather than continuing to look for a leak in this weather!
I wonder whether that vile cheap perfume someone gave my wife would do any harm?

tallbongo
Bongolier

Post by tallbongo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:30 am

Distilled Waters Run Deep wrote:To revive this, my Freda has lost a cupful of water every few days for years, but now is using a litre and a half over thirty miles, and dropping even if the car's not used. There is no sign of a leak anywhere, the pressure test at the header tank didn't reveal anything alarming (no dips and spikes when revving), and the fluid is clear. (TBH at the cost at the moment it is all water....) Is it likely that a wet patch in the boot is the rear heater leaking or is that a roof problem (and may I hope that the leak is at the water pump)?
Distilled Waters Run Deep wrote:The wet patch is at the driver's side on the bottom layer of carpet, and has spread across the upper carpet. I shall have to put some coolant in to get a smell anywhere, but even at a fiver a week if I leave it standing that's better than the damage freezing (or rusting) will cause :-(
Smell may be the way to go actually, rather than continuing to look for a leak in this weather!
I wonder whether that vile cheap perfume someone gave my wife would do any harm?
So it's in the back at the driver's side? If it's only a couple of feet behind the driver's seat it's just above the rear heater - you could try bypassing the rear heater to see if it fixes your water loss problem.
95 N Reg 4WD Manual AFT Bongo

Image Image
Bongolier

Post by Distilled Waters Run Deep » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:58 am

No, it's right at the back, from the rear seat to the door. Is that more likely a blocked drain then?
The only other thing I can think of is the water pump.

Steptoe
Bongonaut

Post by Steptoe » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:29 am

I was losing water, but pressure test (twice) showed no issue. Turned out to be the water pump, which only leaked when cold, so pressure test (warm) showed no issues. Shine a torch down behind the alternator belt towards the crankshaft pulley (the water pump sits above this). Can you see any dampness (with engine cold) or coolant staining on/above the crankshaft pulley?
tallbongo
Bongolier

Post by tallbongo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:42 am

Distilled Waters Run Deep wrote:No, it's right at the back, from the rear seat to the door. Is that more likely a blocked drain then?
The only other thing I can think of is the water pump.
It's not likely to be the rear heater matrix causing the damp patch then. It would have to have been a massive leak to cause a damp patch on the carpet anyway. I can't see how this damp patch is related to the coolant loss.

What was the pressure during your pressure test? You'd expect changes in pressure when the temp of the coolant changes (e.g. during revving) unless the system was already at the expansion tank vent pressure. The coolant loss could be down to many things and hard to diagnose remotely, but as Steptoe has suggested the water pump is one thing that can leak when cold but is ok when hot. However, losing 1.5 litres over 30 miles doesn't sound like a cold only leak.
95 N Reg 4WD Manual AFT Bongo

Image Image
Bongolier

Post by Distilled Waters Run Deep » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:42 pm

Ah.. I didn't realise they only leak when cold. I'm flummoxed then.
I think the gauge read about 15 psi once Lawrence had pumped the bulb up, and didn't wander drastically far off that with throttle blips. The motor was hot as I'd just driven the 40 miles of big hills between us.

Idris
Bongonaut

Post by Idris » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:08 pm

I've just been through the mill as regards leaks - though it was self inflicted by me cutting into the system to add heating for a twin tank veg oil system. Previously the coing system was only filled with water, muck and rust - it had lived by the sea in south wales so I guess the owner wasn't afraid of frost!.

First major leak would only happen (initialy) an hour or so after running, and you had to get it properly warm for it to leak - got worse, turned out to be the waterpump, just happend at the wrong time, so had a rush to fix it, otherwise not a tough job.
Real lerning on fixing this one was to put the belts on the waterpump pulley before putting the pulley on the pump, no having to force the belts into place.

Seccond major leak would only happen when t it was having to work realy hard - but you coudn't tell on motorways - it was the top of the rad - finaly I ended up going uphill a fair distance early one morningm saw the steam and traced the problem.
Again not a difficult job, due to corrosion I can't get the plastic air scoup off the bottom/intercooler (front crosmember is a job for spring). so after draining and removing the bottom hose I had to lift the rad and remove the oil cooler pipes up top, luckily they are long enough to do this.

Other leak was the warn out/bent expansion bottle cap that would rattle loose, kept finding it in the spare battery tray with coolant all over the place, one morning couldn't find it - replacement cap solved the problem.

Collant leaks I've come to realise are a part of owning an older bongo, (never had this issue with 15 other cars) but so long you fix them and keep the levels topped up they shouldn't wreck the engine - low coolant alarm a must.
www.idriskis.com eco friendly skis
Bongolier

Post by Distilled Waters Run Deep » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:49 pm

Thanks Idris!
If your water pump leaked when hot then I am going to replace mine, as there are no other signs of a leak, she had a rad and silicone hoses fitted 5 years ago when I had the single tank Elsbett veg conversion... other coincidence: I live on the coast in SW Wales but we do still occasionally get frost no matter what anyone says.
Hayden's alarm has saved my motor several times, especially recently.
We shall see... thanks all for your thoughts and advice.

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Distilled Waters Run Deep wrote:Thanks Idris!
If your water pump leaked when hot then I am going to replace mine, as there are no other signs of a leak, she had a rad and silicone hoses fitted 5 years ago when I had the single tank Elsbett veg conversion... other coincidence: I live on the coast in SW Wales but we do still occasionally get frost no matter what anyone says.
Hayden's alarm has saved my motor several times, especially recently.
We shall see... thanks all for your thoughts and advice.
Silicon hoses. Have they used jubilee clips, as these used together caused problems with leaks for some owners.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:18 pm

Most people on here who fitted silicone hoses have since bit the bullet and binned them. They tend to start leaking when the winter temperatures arrive......
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:27 pm

We have a full set of silicon hoses. Yes every time cold weather comes they start leaking. We have put some radiator stop leak and conditioner into the coolant and this has stopped all leaks. Think this stuff is better than the egg white we used to use. It has now been in for over a year with no adverse affects.

Return to “Techie Stuff”