Insurance Quotes

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

Scratch
Bongolier

Insurance Quotes

Post by Scratch » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:34 am

I am picking up my first Bongo on Monday and I am trying to arrange insurance.So far the quotes vary between £300 - £600. I am a company car driver (No 'no claims') and both myself and my wife had a minor car accident last year. My concern is that although the Bongo is unconverted, and I made this clear to an insurer, they are happy to insure the Bongo as a campervan at the lowest rate I have received (£250) Has anybody else been in this situation?
the laird
Supreme Being

Re: Insurance Quotes

Post by the laird » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:02 pm

Try Darren at aib insurance services
I'm in the wild camping club and ask for a discount as they do for different clubs (worth a shot at)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:25 pm

Does sound very cheap for unconverted and with the claim history. Ask them what their definition of 'campervan' is. To get a vehicle registered with DVLA as motor caravan requires it to have a big list of features such as permanently fitted washing and cooking facilities, table, ability to make a bed etc.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:47 pm

Scratch wrote:I am picking up my first Bongo on Monday and I am trying to arrange insurance.So far the quotes vary between £300 - £600. I am a company car driver (No 'no claims') and both myself and my wife had a minor car accident last year. My concern is that although the Bongo is unconverted, and I made this clear to an insurer, they are happy to insure the Bongo as a campervan at the lowest rate I have received (£250) Has anybody else been in this situation?
Hmmm, I would want the fact that they accept an 8 seater MPV as a campervan in writing, as it is most definitely an MPV and liable to higher insurance rates. Cheap insurance isn't cheap if they refuse to pay out when somebody hits you :roll:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:57 pm

I have Toyota Estima MPV (the equivalent of an unconverted Bongo) .. and a Bongo 'Motor Caravan' ..

The Bongo is nearly half the cost to insure as my MPV is ..

I am with the C&CC .. they will not insure my Toyota or 'normal' motors ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Scratch
Bongolier

Post by Scratch » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:00 pm

They have confirmed in writing that the motorhome policy they have offered covers my 2L petrol unconverted tin top Bongo.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:53 pm

You've got an absolute bargain then :)
thevanarchist
Bongonaut

Post by thevanarchist » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:29 am

Which insurer is this please? Got to be worth adding to the 'get a quote' list when the time comes by the sound of it...
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:35 pm

mikeWalsall wrote:I have Toyota Estima MPV (the equivalent of an unconverted Bongo) .. and a Bongo 'Motor Caravan' ..

The Bongo is nearly half the cost to insure as my MPV is ..

I am with the C&CC .. they will not insure my Toyota or 'normal' motors ..

Very strange, the C&CC are just Brokers not Insurance Company, they will provide you with insurance cover for almost anything within reason. They use a number of Insurance Companies.

IE, Motorhome/Car/Home/Pet/Motorcycle/Holliday/Breakdown/Caravan.etc etc.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:45 pm

That's what I thought .. as brokers you would think they would insure every thing including the family pet ..

They would not let me add my Toyota Estima as a second vehicle .. or even give me a Quote on a Toyota Alphard MPV ..

That's in a WS3 postcode .. and a full no claims after over 54 years of blame free riding / driving ..!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:34 pm

You need to be very careful when insuring as a campervan as some of these policies do not accrue no claims bonuses.

Return to “Insurance”