Earthing the mains electrics

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

helen&tony
Supreme Being

Earthing the mains electrics

Post by helen&tony » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:03 am

Hi
As it's sensible to earth the Bongo when using mains electrics, is there a source of an approved socket for earthing, or is it merely a case of just adding a bit of heavy-duty cable to a spike, and connecting it to the chassis?
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Earthing the mains electrics

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:03 am

I think "adding a bit of heavy-duty cable to a spike, and connecting it to the chassis" is right, but you need to know that the spike is actually earthing things which will depend on the kind of ground you've whacked it into. No doubt there's a a meter to measure the required impedance for you.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:19 am

Hi
Muz...
Yes, I reckon it would be O.K as stated, but the thought of a meter hadn't occured...I wonder if there is a "ground meter"...I was also going to include a metal plate to go under the wheel when on concrete....Reason being is: I am going to connect the Bongo to the CTEK charger, and run it through the Bongo's mains electrics, rather than running it off the extension lead through the driver's window, and I don't want the barn cats to get fried :lol: :lol: :lol: ....mind you...fried cat....there's a thought :!:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:22 am

That's the problem, just putting a metal plate under the wheel won't earth it. You need to know that it's earthed and even knocking a pukka earth spike into the ground doesn't necessarily do it.

No doubt an expert in electrickery will be along soon for a qualified answer....
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:23 am

Yup that is the problem! Putting an earth in at a single fixed point say at home is a different kettle of fish to doing it at a site which might say have underlying rock, can you imagine trying to sink a decent earth at the Glencoe campsite :-)
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:46 am

Hi
Ah!, fried cat it is then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...seriously, though, is it worth going without an earth in such instances?....I ran our caravan without ever earthing it, although it does seem a sensible thing?
Cheers
Helen
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:23 pm

Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi
Interesting reading....Over here there aren't any domestic earthing facilities, and they commonly connect the earth and neutral IN the house....BUT....often the sockets are wired randomly, especially with twin sockets, as one side of the socket is wired differently to the other side if you plug into the socket in a logical way...OR whichever way the plug will fit!....AND in some of the older village houses, it's often possible to find non-waterproof 3-phase electric switches by the kitchen sink :shock: where they activate the well-pump when using well-water!..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”