bike carriers

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

DAW
Apprentice Bongonaut

bike carriers

Post by DAW » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:08 am

Anyone used the Avenir Vermont 3 carrier ? Any good ? Looking for a removeable rack..
Thanks
Darrell
Edinburgh
Paulinwales
Bongolier

Re: bike carriers

Post by Paulinwales » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:54 pm

i use bakrak can be used as ccle rack or for carrying large box for bedding when touring
tigger
Bongolier

Post by tigger » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:23 pm

If it helps I have the Avenir Arizona (I think). Had it for years, does the job, fits the Bongo fine - just got back from France with it in fact. Not sure I'd fully trust it on the vertical back of a Bongo loaded with 3 full-sized bikes mind you, although in theory it should be OK. Versatile too - it also fits a Suzuki Ignis and a Renault Kangoo...
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:56 am

DAW wrote:Anyone used the Avenir Vermont 3 carrier ? Any good ? Looking for a removeable rack..
Thanks
Darrell
Edinburgh
Yes. Bought the extra arms to clamp crossbars.
I have a spoiler so mount it with its top rubbers on rear window. Have seen one mounted higher by removal of spoiler.
Easy to put on the vehicle once you have the set up dialled.
Taking off is also easy - so security not great. I padlock bikes to a tailgate handle.
Rails are a bit short, need to check that your bike wheelbase is not too long if you have large frame bikes.
Putting bikes on first time was a faff but quite quick once worked out optimum to get them all on with rubbing.
Its light enough to keep on the tailgate when not in use - tailgate just about stays up with std gas struts

I haven't personally played with the corresponding Thule rack but from observing at trail centres, I think the Vermont is a bit more fiddly and not as robust as Thule. I'm happy though for the occasional use I give it.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
grey fellah
Bongonaut

Post by grey fellah » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:44 pm

hi, anyone use a thule 9103 or 9104 clip on bike rack , was wondering if either would fit a 2002 tin-top, posing possible fouling of spoiler etc, any advice gratefully received, also any-one recommend other possible 2 bike racks thanks in advance

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”