Getting the chrome covers off Bongo mirrors!

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

helen&tony
Supreme Being

Getting the chrome covers off Bongo mirrors!

Post by helen&tony » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:21 pm

Hi
By sheer accident, I found out how to remove the chrome covers off the Bongo mirrors
There we were, having an espresso, and picking up some comestibles, got back to the Bongo, shut the door, and the mirror cover fell off!...the answer...we'd been parked in the sun.....42 C today...and it melted the adhesive!....I only bought them new a few years back, and I thoroughly cleaned the mirrors, then wet'n'dried them, THEN wiped them several times with thinners...so, yes, clean as a new pin....the adhesive just melted!...so, back home, pulled the other one off, and put them back on with a ring of builders' adhesive round the pad, and activated the pad with cyano adhesive (that REALLY works).....so now you have the answer....heat the back to 42 C and tug!
It's 42 C in the shade back home (around 108 Fahrenheit)...warm!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Getting the chrome covers off Bongo mirrors!

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:38 pm

Good news. I have a spare set that need to be extracted from an old set of mirrors, so will try the old hairdryer trick.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Getting the chrome covers off Bongo mirrors!

Post by helen&tony » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:57 pm

Hi
Simon....
If you have a hot air gun that can set the heat digitally, try 42 C....and heat it for a good while...we have a Makita one that's pretty good with LCD display....BUT....a hair-dryer MIGHT work...funnily enough, the pad was still sticky...and you can find that just a dab of Cyano works...we often use those net curtain rods with the adhesive plastic hooks with the metal pin in....guaranteed to fall off in a few days...stick some cyano on the pad, push it back, and you'll NEVER get the little beggars off
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”