Figure of 8

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

mantaJim
Bongolier

Figure of 8

Post by mantaJim » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi All

We bought a drive-away tunnel awning at the weekend and I have just offered it up to the van to check how much figure of eight to use. Trouble is having attached the awning I am having some difficulty removing the figure of 8 from the gutter on the van. Does anyone tend to leave this on the van ? I'm slightly concerned about it flying off at high(-ish) speed :shock:

Cheers

Jim
V6 Mushroom
cmm303
Supreme Being

Re: Figure of 8

Post by cmm303 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:56 pm

Some do leave them on but personally, like you, I prefer to remove them. Remove awning then suggest firm upward pressure (=brute force :) ) at one end of the strip then peel it away from the gutter. Often easier with fig 8 slud to one end of the gutter. Wetting the paintwork may also help.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mantaJim
Bongolier

Post by mantaJim » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:17 pm

Thanks I'll give it a go with the water trick :D
V6 Mushroom
the laird
Supreme Being

Post by the laird » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:24 pm

On my bongo I had a thin PVC film that was clear so the fig 8didnt scratch when going on and off but never had any hardship gtn it off ,you do have to be firm and push upwards
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:25 pm

I have 2.5m lengths of figure 8 permanently on either side of my Bongo. The offside one has never been used #-o

But I get leakproof connections and a nice visual effect :lol:
Snoozie
Bongolier

Post by Snoozie » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:08 pm

OK, maybe a daft question about figure of 8, but be kind to me - I only heard of it a few days ago!

I have bought a porch awning advertised on Gumtree (an Outdoor Revolution Tech 200) and it looks as if a figure of 8 would secure it to my bongo gutter. The porch is quite wide and the top of it will fit along the whole of my guttering and a little bit also where it curves down at the front, so about 2.7m I guess (estimate).

Mike above says he has 2.5m lengths, but I notice that most for sale come in 3ft or 2.5ft lengths, e.g. in the bongo fury shop, and on ebay.

Questions:
1) Do I need the full length? Or will 3 or 4 shorter sections at intervals along the guttering be enough to hold up a porch awning (granted I suppose some rain might drip through the bits not attached).

2) If I need fig of 8 along the whole attachment length, can it be made up of shorter sections pushed together?

3) If a single long length is preferable, where can you buy a bit that long? e.g. Mike where did you get yours?
Keep Calm and Bongo On!
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:56 pm

had our Khyam on shorter lengths pushed together with no problems.thinking about it that might help with the other issue as well as it being more flexible could make removal easier -but it doesnt go into the bit that curves down -not flexible enough - that would need to be a separate piece -I looked at a picture of your porch and the top edge is straight i dont know how you would go on trying to fit that on the curve.You might have to discount that and have an overlap at each end where the beading of the porch is slightly longer than the gutter -i do this with a sideless canopy to no ill effect.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:14 pm

Long sections are hard to get (posted) and short sections will be fine. Long section just makes driving on to awning a bit easier plus eliminates drips where there are gaps. Plus, being permanently attached, I don't forget them or lose them in the Bongo :-)
Snoozie
Bongolier

Post by Snoozie » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:36 am

Thanks karena. The two lots of beading - look like black rubbery rods in a sleeve are a bit flexible, but I imagine that the figure of 8 is less so. As you said, they could just stick out a bit at each end.

I quite like the idea of long bit permanently attached or I would probably forget to take it too mike! Will look for a long piece, but if not easily available I'll use shorter pieces pushed together.

Thanks for the tips.
Keep Calm and Bongo On!

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”