Accident Damage

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

taffybongo
Bongonaut

Accident Damage

Post by taffybongo » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:55 am

A lady very kindly reshaped my bumper a couple of days ago. The van was legally parked outside my house and she reversed out of a neighbour's drive. "I didn't see it" she said. "Should have gone to Specsavers" I said. On a more serious note, the bumper and near side headlight need replacing. The insurance company were great and arranged a hire vehicle that day and the garage picked up the van the day after.
Have heard a whisper from a friendly being at the garage that they have recommended the van be written off. I have sourced a bumper and a headlamp and the total outlay is less than £400!! Obviously painting and labour are extra, but at what sort of price can they deem fit to write it off? It is a 1997 2.5.
Can I buy it back from the insurers and what sort of money will I be offered? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Accident Damage

Post by Muzorewa » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:36 am

It's your van and they can't dispose of it without your agreement. Buy it back and fit the parts :wink:
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:59 pm

If its recorded as a write-off it will affect it value when you come to sell it. BTW £400 for bumper and headlamp is quite a lot unless its a facelift model. For pre-facelift, you should be able to get both items and still have change from £100.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:12 pm

Make it clear to the insurance you want it back.
I would just get a used bumper and light, I also would have thought less than £100 + paint but you could paint a bumper your self
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:32 pm

It would be interesting to see a picture. Bumpers are remarkably repairable with heat treatment, as I discovered when I had to do mine. No way is the car a write-off - cheeky buggers, they just don't want to know!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:28 pm

The problem is the cost of the hire car.
silvern
Bongonaut

Post by silvern » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:37 pm

seems strange they've written it off. Maybe the accessor didn't value it correctly (didn't know what he wad looking at?). My 97 diesel was repaired last year (pass door, sliding door, rear wing, alloy, tyre ). The insurance company spent over £2k on the repairs. They never even mentioned writing it off
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:35 pm

Muzorewa wrote:It's your van and they can't dispose of it without your agreement. Buy it back and fit the parts :wink:
I don't often agree with HJ, but this may help.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car ... n-off.html

As Muz says, it is YOUR vehicle, just tell them you want a settlement that leaves it with you to repair.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:18 pm

Almost 40 years ago I had someone cross the road and pile head on into me. Thankfully no serious injuries but much the same situation regarding write off.

When (eventually) got the cheque I replied refusing to accept the amount as Full and Final Settlement.

Move the vehicle and explained to the man who came to collect it that I had not sold it to anyone and asked why he was here.

They gave up.
taffybongo
Bongonaut

Post by taffybongo » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:51 pm

All's well that ends well. Not a write off. The company who took the van away are a bunch of cowboys. I was given permission by my insurers to source a new bumper and headlight lens but they went and said they could only order one from Japan!! Enter a very nice engineer from LV. He seemed genuine and offered me a very nice sum as a "cash in lieu" payment. I held out for double the amount and they authorised this within twenty minutes.

The van is now at a local garage and I am a good part of the way to having my wheel arch rust sorted out as well as having the van repaired. Thanks for all your comments, guys. Much appreciated

Return to “Insurance”