Bongo Security

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo Security

Post by helen&tony » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:28 pm

ELZE wrote:
NathM wrote:An old installers trick, was to swap the window stickers given to the customer, so if you had a Clifford fitted, he'd give you Toad stickers etc as different alarms prevent different attacks and just added a little confusion to the mix.

Nath
Best not to have any on the windows make it more difficult.
Hi
True!...anyway, why would I want to advertise somebody's product?...the warning lights on the dash are good enough!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:42 am

Only problem that could arise from not stickering is that the would be thief has a crack at your car just to make sure it is alarmed and not just a gimmick flashing led, leaving you with panel/window damage
Julian
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi
Errr...The same applies to stickers...all available for a couple of quid ...The answer is those who do fit security to their vehicles are LESS likely to get 'em nicked....PLUS care and attention to lock them every time you leave...surprising how many folk pop into the paper-shop and leave the keys in the ignition!!!!!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Stickers or no stickers, I doubt it will make any difference to the hardened spiv! giving stickers is like giving a clue only you might just be giving them the wrong one! No matter the arsh*le who wants your car is going to do it anyway regardless.

I agree with Helen the best thing it to activate the security when you leave it even if it is only a few minutes because anyone wanting to steal a Bongo would have probably hand selected the one they want and follow it for a while waiting for the opportunity. with security technology of the era they will not need the key, just the doors unlocked for quickness. the rest they will do in around 30 seconds
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:31 pm

ELZE wrote:Stickers or no stickers, I doubt it will make any difference to the hardened spiv! giving stickers is like giving a clue only you might just be giving them the wrong one! No matter the arsh*le who wants your car is going to do it anyway regardless.

I agree with Helen the best thing it to activate the security when you leave it even if it is only a few minutes because anyone wanting to steal a Bongo would have probably hand selected the one they want and follow it for a while waiting for the opportunity. with security technology of the era they will not need the key, just the doors unlocked for quickness. the rest they will do in around 30 seconds
Hi
Elze...
Absolutely right...Our house was the only one on the close not burgled at one address. All houses were alarmed, and everyone was aware that the potential thieves sat in the kiddies play-park behind the bushes....watching, and waiting...Last house forgot to alarm as he went out the door!...enter friendly Fred the Burglar after 5 minutes to let them get down the road
ROUTINE locking every time helps...and investigating unusual hangers around, beit by a house or car!....BUT...yes, if they want your car badly enough, they'll have it....I usually have more security than you can shake a stick at, but all it'll do is delay!
I came back to a car-park one day, and they'll break in for just a look!....side window smashed and glovebox opened, and they even tried nicking the tax disc :lol: :lol: :lol: They're nothing if not determined! Car was alarmed, and presumably didn't set off...top of the line Cat 1.....the insurance said Ah...a (*****)...they are known to give problems!!!!!... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
Allans
Bongolier

Post by Allans » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:14 pm

and they even tried nicking the tax disc
That's one bonus of not having tax discs in future. Less to steal.
http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/end- ... isc-_59767
Servicing Bongos since 2003 in Plymouth, Devon http://www.allansvehicleservices.co.uk
JamesO
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by JamesO » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:52 am

I find that an electric shock alarm system keeps the ruffians away!
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:29 am

Helpful or Not !!! Can be read by police helicopters and ANPR cameras.

http://www.griffindesigns.co.uk/Caravan ... OV8guR-475

The idea I understand being that thieves can stick a false number plate over the existing number plate. But doing something about the roof, if they notice it, will be a tad more difficult.
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:31 am

I'm liking the idea, regular size stick on plates can be had for about £4/5 and can obviously be read by ANPR.

These could also be stuck back and front on an AFT.

Large reg on the roof to be seen by helicopter can't hurt at all, but the regular cameras are a good be these days, and it would be a very cheap deterant.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:48 pm

Bob wrote:Large reg on the roof to be seen by helicopter can't hurt at all, but the regular cameras are a good be these days, and it would be a very cheap deterant.
Wouldn't be a deterrent unless you tell the thieving b*d it's there!!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:07 pm

Stuck vertically on the rear, and on the angled bit at the front you'd see them from the ground. :wink:

More difficult to remove than regular plates. 8)
Bongo Brain
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Brain » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:03 am

Can anyone recommend a good steering wheel lock which fits the Bongo?
Reading this thread has made me a bit twitchy!
I'm guessing the type of lock which locks the handbrake to the gearstick will not fit an automatic?
I'm favouring a wheel lock, and just wondering which ones fit the larger steering wheel of a Bongo...
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:19 pm

Disklok Small is very good. Very visible!! Well worth the money in my book!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:03 pm

Bongo Brain
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Brain » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:21 am

Thanks for that suggestion folks :)

Return to “Bongo Chat”