daylight running lights

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

khisanth
Bongolier

daylight running lights

Post by khisanth » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:20 am

Hi all I am looking for some advice on daylight running lights.

I already have a set of fog lights installed but would like to install a set of DRLs

Has anyone fitted a set, if so can they recommend a set that looks good works well and easy to install

Any suggestions be greatly appreciated
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: daylight running lights

Post by helen&tony » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:25 am

Hi
The vast majority of DRLs are not legal, despite claims, as they must be E-marked and come with the relevant documentation.
I bought Philips DRLs...extra-ordinarily bright, and I'm confident they can be seen for a long distance. Just a quick glance almost burns your eyeballs!... :lol: ...I modified the wiring a bit so they dim when you turn the headlights on!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:23 pm

Fail to understand this as Volvo have been fitted with day running lights as far back as I can remember?? Not LED's mind but lights anyway so how is it illegal?

Now most vehicles have them. Are we saying they are illegal to retro-fit?
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
khisanth
Bongolier

Post by khisanth » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:32 pm

I think its to do with brightness and how they must dim when sidelights on.

They have done some really weird alterations to law eg xenon headlights illegal unless they have self corecting mechanism and cleaner. So pretty much all aftermarket xenon's are illegal. Not entirely sure on specifics of dlrs
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:01 am

As Helen says, to be legal they should be E marked and dim when the main lights come on. A lot of the cheaper kits are described as 'styling lights' and quite often say for 'off road use only'.

DRL's on Volvo up to about 2010 are just bog standard lights (front and rear) which are factory programmed to come on with the ignition. I'm on my third Volvo and find it a very handy feature as you can never forget to turn them on or off.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:08 am

Hi
As Simon says, the Volvo lights are bright enough to be seen during daylight, so they are the "forerunners" of the DRL system, and most LEDs aren't bright enough to be seen . The Philips ones are too bright to look at, and can be seen at a distance, and , effectively aren't LEDs but CREE chips. I wouldn't bother putting cheapo LEDs on, as the purpose is to be seen. As far as I am aware , only Philips DRLs and at the time I bought them, I believe only one other firm were certified to E-mark standards, and that may be Hella (don't quote me on that)....I have a certificate that says the lights are fitted according to EU specs, and they should be stamped by the fitter (that reminds me....I must bang our company stamp on it.... :lol: )
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
khisanth
Bongolier

Post by khisanth » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:44 am

So as well as being e stamped they must be professionally fitted ?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:00 am

Hi
No....they don't need to be professionally fitted, as long as the document is stamped , as it may be necessary to produce it should you get stopped....VERY VERY unlikely if they are mounted correctly, as there is a real difference between LED lights and the proper ones.
My reason for buying them is that the law here states that you must have headlights on all the time, and I can assure you that you get through bulbs in no time, as the bumpy roads here jog the hot filament like billy-oh, but DRLs are permanently on, so you are unlikely to get a tug , as you won't forget the lights. I'll give you the company I bought from if you wish.
The wiring needs a bit of alteration to make them dim when the lights are on, plus the wiring is designed to be switched rather than come on with ignition....so it's a simple job to switch it around to come on with the lights!
Cheers
Helen
khisanth
Bongolier

Post by khisanth » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:09 am

Cheers.

What document do you need stamped...

I dont suppose you have a picture of where they fitted on your bongo.

Yes the company would be great.

Was it the 4 or 8 led version you got ?

Cheers
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:23 pm

I really don't know why anyone would want to retrofit DRLs. It's bad enough that new cars come with them but at least on ours we can switch them off by going through the car's menu system. The fact they are fitted is due to a misguided law introduced by the European Parliament and it's another one that our goverment has followed and all the other EU countries (apart from those that already had DRL laws) have completely ignored. There is no evidence that they make you more likely to be seen and in fact there is more evidence that they confuse other motorists and make speed more difficult to judge. The law was introduced on a whim without sufficient research as is usually the case with the EU.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:20 pm

Hi
I believe my post explained why I fitted DRLs....the roads here are unbelievably bad, and with headlights on all the time they (potholes) jiggle the filament , and the lights fail. Over here the police are poorly paid, and SOME will stop you on a failed lamp, and "fine" you on the spot (straight in the pocket)....the police will also spot fine you for forgetting to turn the headlights on...DRLs are switched with the ignition.
Regarding whether they (DRLs) have "confused" other motorists, and there is more evidence to show this is the case, please show me, as I have read well before fitting, mostly to confirm that DRLs are , in fact, legal if retro-fitted, and along the way I have read all sorts of claims, BUT, If I was confused by marker lights on a vehicle, I'm afraid I'd stop driving....they DO make vehicle far more visible than no lights at all, and I WANT other vehicles to see me.
Klisanth...
I'll do some 'photos tomorrow, and post them for you...EASY to fit into the panel under the headlights...I'll also give you the seller's name...I can't recommend them enough! I have the 8-LED version....They are 8 x Luxeon Rebel emitters, and as you know, Luxeon are leaders in high-power emitters...they do a smart kit for Maglights.
Cheers
Helen
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:23 pm

I fitted these lights from Ring.
http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/uk/prod ... ng/BRL0402
Correctly marked and if fitted in the correct place, comply with all current legislation. They are very simple to fit. I have put them in the lower bumper in the place of the fog lamps which I rarely if ever use.
I am all for being as conspicuous as possible whether in the car, on my bike or simply as a pedestrian. My DRLs are fairly bright but could never be blamed for blinding anyone which I think is the main reason for the anti lobby. They dim when the main lights are on and come on automatically when the engine is started.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:28 pm

Not one of the lights on my Bongo 'e'marked .. but as passed the MOT OK ..

In fact the rear ones are marked up 'Australia' ..!!

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:44 pm

The whole thing about being more visible is generally misunderstood. I was told a story by a motorcycle paramedic of an occasion when a car knocked him off his bike and as he dismounted his flourescent, reflective yellow bike in his flourescent, reflective yellow suit (trousers and jacket) the driver got out of his car and said "sorry mate, I didn't" at which point the paramedic interupted him and said "don't you f*****g dare say you didn't see me". The whole point about being seen is that the other person has to have actually looked and more often than not they haven't. It doesn't matter how much hi-vis or reflective gear you wear or how many lights you have on, if the other person hasn't looked then he/she is not going to see you.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:02 pm

I always rode defencley with head light on .. yet still got knocked off my GoldWing by a Co-op delivery driver who looked me at me directly before he did .. !!

He was more shook up than me .. and kept saying that .. he did see me and could not understand why he had not seen me when he had seen me .....

I had to take .. him into his depot for a strong cuppa tea ..!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”