Lifesure and Vehicle Description

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

Alison01326
Supreme Being

Lifesure and Vehicle Description

Post by Alison01326 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:17 pm

Last year I changed insurers and went over to Lifesure who were by far the most competetive on the day. I am staying with them for the same reason, and have just phoned up to renew the policy, but I have a bit of an issue with them.

The description of my vehicle on the policy is Mazda Bongo EST Auto GI (RHD). They claim this is the best description their computer can produce as Mazda Bongo Friendee 2.5TD Auto is not on their database. He blames the DVLA. Last year I got them to write a letter saying that the insured vehicle was in fact a Mazda Bongo Friendee 2.5TD Auto and have told them to do the same this year.

The other details are correct (eingine capacity, eight seater, diesel, automatic) and I suppose it is an estate and it is indeed a GI (grey import).

Has anyone else had this discussion with them? As far as I am concerned the DVLA know what it is because it's on the V5, the MOT shows it correctly for the same reason, and my previous insurers had it right because they either had it on their database or were able to enter it manually.

Am I right to be concerned, or am I being pedantic?
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
scanner
Supreme Being

Re: Lifesure and Vehicle Description

Post by scanner » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:28 pm

At first sight I would say no and yes.

So long as it isn't converted (you say it's an 8 seater?) and is insured on a car policy and not as a "motorcaravan" on a motorhome policy, as that IS a different matter where the description is important.
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks, scanner.

I'm quite confident that I'm covered, but I'd just be happier if the Bongo was given its correct name, particularly as my previous two insurers both managed to call it by its correct name.

When I've got more time, I'm going to find out why Lifesure's computer "can't" do it.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:04 pm

Lifesure used to be the biggest player in the Bongo insurance marketplace until NIG withdrew. I used them 9 years ago and the vehicle was very specifically the correct model, so it seems strange that they their database does list a vehicle which is considerably more common than it was all those years ago.
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:45 pm

I agree, it is strange, and I intend to get to the bottom of it when I've got time (at the very least before my insurance renewal next October!!)

Maybe it was on NIG's database, and not whoever the underwriter is that Lifesure are now using. It was NIG who underwrote my previous policies so that would explain why I had proper details with previous insurers.
Alison

Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:00 pm

Well we have always been with Lifesure 8 years ish, always insured as a Mazda Bongo, now stolen, recovered and a claim in progress, our Bongo is now a Citron Belingo :shock: Insurer Zurich -- their inspector/engineer could not find a Bongo on his data base so went for a French option!!! :shock:
Written of so awaiting an offer!!!
Image Pete
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:41 am

I suppose Bongo and Berlingo sound like brothers, but it's inexcusable to get it wrong in the middle of a claim.

So sorry to hear of all your upset - I can't imagine what it must be like to be a victim of a theft but at least arrests have been made. I can only hope for your sake that the punishment fits the crime.

Fingers crossed that the outcome is good for you (even if you are Bongo-less)
Alison

scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:49 am

I bet the Bongo/Berlingo mix up is something to do with "predictive" text or a spill chucker thinking it knows better than the writer.
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:50 pm

Thank you all who have replied!
Bongo Berlingo are close I agree!
Mazda Citron :shock:
We fully intend to be getting another Bongo, not sure who we insure with :(
Image Pete
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:22 am

Diesel AFT side kitchen with option to fit rear split seats!
That Bongo will probably qualify as a camper Pete. Give the Camping & Caravanning Club a shout, you don't have to be a member. You get extra discounts for additional security with them. Like most insurers the cost seems to creep up a bit if you stay with them over a few years according to other owners.

I currently have my motorhome insured with them and before that it was my Bongo. Still getting competitive rates from them so the creep has yet to be applied to me. But then I am a member of the club.

They know what the Mazda Bongo and the Ford Freda are because they are on their database. I did all my quotes on line without any problems apart from being asked for proof of no claim bonus.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:41 pm

Thank you Tony, will give them a try in January when the insurance needs renewing, Gillian has been in contact with Lifesure to insure our replacement Bongo, another £60 to pay, this is a costly business having your Bongo stolen!!
Image Pete
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:41 pm

I trust that at least you got some money back from cancelling your road fund licence if it had a few months to run Pete.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:22 pm

We had till June on the road tax. Gillian is on the case Tony :)
Image Pete
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:20 pm

Just changed to C&CC insurance..... Campton who I was with went with another insurance co and up when the costs.... saved £60 and got better cover and less excess's on everything... inc windscreen..
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:23 pm

That sounds good!!! :) will check out!! :D
Image Pete

Return to “Insurance”