can anyone on you techies identify this annoying squeak

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Furydav
Bongolier

Re: can anyone on you techies identify this annoying squeak

Post by Furydav » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:52 pm

jaylee wrote:Hi, check the idle pulley wheel on the engine where the 3 belts go over...? The pulley wheel where the grooves for just the 2 alternator belts go is a bonded disco/cylinder to the main wheel before the AC belt..? If this bonding has gone it will make a similar noise to the second link posted with the gravel in..

In this instance the only thing turning the water pump & alternator is the tention on the new belts..?
Is the noise more noticeable from the front of the vehicle as the acoustics travel out under the bulkhead to the space under the bonnet.?

Bye the way, I'm using an ipad mini & the link works fine in Safari... Puffin free can play flash too!
Hi, thanks for the input, id say its more noticible from outside as you say the vehicle but is now audible inside at low revs/ idle. I sprayed water on the belts and it stopped for a second so defo something to do with the belt system
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:19 pm

Just have a look at the pulley wheel that drives the 3 belts when the belts are off or loosened...?

Have you had a burning smell of rubber when you have stopped, either emanating from the drivers side front wing or drifting in through the cab vents...? :idea: :arrow:

I just sorted this problem with my pulley wheel chattering/slipping (same sort of noise.) & solved inconsistent possible drive to the alternator/water pump & stopped the burning rubber smell.... :mrgreen:

I had 3 new belts on there for months..... :oops: :lol:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
Furydav
Bongolier

Post by Furydav » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:31 pm

jaylee wrote:Just have a look at the pulley wheel that drives the 3 belts when the belts are off or loosened...?

Have you had a burning smell of rubber when you have stopped, either emanating from the drivers side front wing or drifting in through the cab vents...? :idea: :arrow:

I just sorted this problem with my pulley wheel chattering/slipping (same sort of noise.) & solved inconsistent possible drive to the alternator/water pump & stopped the burning rubber smell.... :mrgreen:

I had 3 new belts on there for months..... :oops: :lol:
No burning smell. How eazy is it to access the pulley and how did you repair it? Thanks
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Pulley wheel was replaced from underneath... In fairness I got Bellhill to do it...! :wink:

Like I said earlier, the wheel is in two parts held in place by a single bolt... The piece that drives the two belts for the water pump & alternator is kind of bonded with a rubber compound to the main piece bolted to the crank, which can break down sounding a bit like what I interpret sound wise in your link with the gravel drive in....? The cylinder driving these belts slips & it's only the belt tension that keeps it all spinning....? The noise due to the acoustics could be mistaken for exhaust/belts/idle tension pulley bearings...?

I crawled all over my van, it drove me nuts for a few weeks...
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
Furydav
Bongolier

Post by Furydav » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:53 pm

jaylee wrote:Pulley wheel was replaced from underneath... In fairness I got Bellhill to do it...! :wink:

Like I said earlier, the wheel is in two parts held in place by a single bolt... The piece that drives the two belts for the water pump & alternator is kind of bonded with a rubber compound to the main piece bolted to the crank, which can break down sounding a bit like what I interpret sound wise in your link with the gravel drive in....? The cylinder driving these belts slips & it's only the belt tension that keeps it all spinning....? The noise due to the acoustics could be mistaken for exhaust/belts/idle tension pulley bearings...?

I crawled all over my van, it drove me nuts for a few weeks...
Thanks for the advice, ill get stuck in and check it all out when i get some dry weather.
Furydav
Bongolier

Post by Furydav » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:48 pm

just a quick update for anyone with similar problem in future. Three new belts fitted, noise gone. simples, thanks for all the advice

Return to “Techie Stuff”