Leisure Battery fitted.

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Bonnybobby
Apprentice Bongonaut

Leisure Battery fitted.

Post by Bonnybobby » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:54 pm

I've just fitted a new leisure battery and want to check the starter battery doesn't discharge whilst camping. Can anyone e-mail a diagram of how the Bongo is wired up and suggest options (blocking diode?) to stop the starter battery being used while stationary.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Leisure Battery fitted.

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:22 pm

.."Remember .. an answer via a PM helps one member, an answer on the Forum helps many"..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:10 pm

Well normally all your "camping" items like fridge, lights, extra 12v sockets, water pump etc are wired directly from the leisure battery via suitable fuses.
The leisure battery should NOT be wired in parallel with the starter battery, ie wired directly together, it should be charged using a split charging system such as a Willinton kit.
That way the starter battery will not be used for anything other than the vehicle requirements.
BTW the Willinton kit will allow you to wire some items like the radio through the leisure battery as well so is well worth considering.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:21 pm

Bonnybobby wrote:I've just fitted a new leisure battery and want to check the starter battery doesn't discharge whilst camping. Can anyone e-mail a diagram of how the Bongo is wired up and suggest options (blocking diode?) to stop the starter battery being used while stationary.
If you have just fitted a new leisure battery, surely it is still wired the same way as the old one :?
If that worked OK the new one will.

Or am I missing something?

PS or is your Bongo a "winter pack" one with twin starter batteries?
Bonnybobby
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bonnybobby » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:08 pm

We have measured the terminals where the leisure battery is fitted (no battery in place at the time). This is the same as the starter battery. We believe the batteries are wired in parallel. We also saw voltage in the cigar plug at the rear of the Bongo without the leisure battery fitted. This is why I need a circuit diagram to find out how to discharge the LB and NOT the starter battery.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:14 pm

Like what as been asked .. is yours a Northern Japan spec: Bongo with two starter batteries ..

Mine is a converted tintop with a starter battery and a leisure battery fitted by the converter ..

The only thing that works from the leisure battery on mine is the fridge .. the 12v power point at the n/s rear .. front ciggy lighter .. radio .. blinds etc: still work from the starter battery ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:36 pm

I would start by removing the connection between the starter and leisure batteries and see what still works. On ours thee was a big heavy duty cable simply running between the two batteries. Make sure the "dead" terminal is well insulated when you take it off.
Different people wire things in different ways so there is no definitive wiring diagram for what is wired into the leisure battery.
It's a simple matter to wire the rear 12v socket into the LB if you already have a 12v supply into the rear for a the fridge etc.
Just make sure you use suitable fuses.
Then you need to fit a Willinton kit or similar to charge the LB when the engine is running.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:59 pm

Bonnybobby wrote:We have measured the terminals where the leisure battery is fitted (no battery in place at the time). This is the same as the starter battery. We believe the batteries are wired in parallel. We also saw voltage in the cigar plug at the rear of the Bongo without the leisure battery fitted. This is why I need a circuit diagram to find out how to discharge the LB and NOT the starter battery.
From what you say you do not have a leisure battery you have a two starter battery set up and everything runs off the engine battery(s) depending on how many are in place.

As said by briwy you now need to fit a "Willinton" kit (or similar). But to be honest (IMHO) there is nothing "similar" or as quick and easy to fit.

Martin who trades under the name "Willinton" (note the spelling!) on ebay, doesn't always have any kits listed, but if you contact him through his "shop" on ebay he will tell you how you can get one.

Here is a link to him............
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/willinton
Bonnybobby
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bonnybobby » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:21 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. :D
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:48 pm

We had a right time of it on getting our Bongo. It had a Willinton kit but it wasn't connected and I could see why - lots of cross connections between the LB and SB circuits for various extras.
When you've finished connecting yours up, a good test is to check for any continuity (ie electrical resistance - lots of multimeters have a continuity setting) between the two batteries positive terminals. Do this with the ignition off. There should be none as in no continuity / huge or infinite resistance.
If you do get continuity then you'll drain both batteries as you use your electrics when parked up.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”