Hello and a bit of electrical help needed please.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Voodoosnake
Apprentice Bongonaut

Hello and a bit of electrical help needed please.

Post by Voodoosnake » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:25 pm

Hi Folks,

Just entering my first real camping season as a Bongonaut. She has been my bands dressing room over the winter months. Fantastic piece of kit.

Last week she broke down and the charging and sediment light on, she had blown the 100A fuse on the box just off the battery.

Just been in for service and MOT with a change of fuse and she is running fine. The alternator was checked by auto electrician and it was fine. Passed the MOT with flying colours BTW. Mechanic advised keeping spare fuses in the van but I'm very keen to get this sorted as Im hopefully going to be carrying my wife and daughter over the summer.

Anyone else had this kind of experience?

Im not very good with mechanics or electrics so all help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Col

PS: I have read the sticky at the top but it doesn't answer my problem.
Last edited by Voodoosnake on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Re: Hello and a bit of help needed please.

Post by hembramacho » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:29 pm

Moved to here for hopefully a better response.

Cheers

Andrew
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image
Voodoosnake
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Hello and a bit of electrical help needed please.

Post by Voodoosnake » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:43 pm

Thank you Andrew

Diolch yn fawr :wink:
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:08 pm

Not heard of anyone blowing the 100A fuse before, but you can buy spares of all the other under bonnet fuses from the club shop:

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/mercha ... #Electrics

Always good to keep a stash of all suitable fuses to hand as you never know when you may need them.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:17 am

Blowing the 100Amp is quite a feat! About the only thing likely to cause it is the Alternator.
Did you inspect the fuse yourself when it was replaced ? Was it actually blown - i.e. the element fused, or did it appear broken possibly by vibration etc. ?
The charging and sediment light on together do indicate an alternator problem, did this come on before the fuse failed or was it only visible afterwards ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Voodoosnake
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Voodoosnake » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:10 am

Hi Geoff,
Thanks for responding.

The lights came on whilst driving, inspected the fuse and it was blown. Im assuming that's why the lights came on. Ive had the alternator tested and all seems well with it. With a fresh fuse in place the Bongo is now running well. Its still with the Garage as ive now asked him to get his best guy on

Is this battery in any was linked to the electrics in the back or is the back covered by the leisure battery?

Cheers

Col
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:26 am

I would ask the garage to let you see the fuse, if its blown by melting / vaporisation then you had a high current and that strongly suggests the alternator or its wiring - inspect along the entire length of the cable that connects the alternator for abrasions etc. If it just appears broken then its possible it might just have broken due to vibration - but this is NOT a common cause by any means!

When driving the two batteries will be in parallel, assuming you have a split charge relay. When you stop the relay will open and whatever is connected to the L/B will continue to see power - what is connected to the L/B depends it varies, check the fuse box by the drivers knee it often gives a clue with wires visible, otherwise switch the ignition OFF and disconnect the S/B negative terminal and then see what still works!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”