Trailer Wiring problems

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Trailer Wiring problems

Post by thedogsbollox » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:27 pm

My trailer plug is playing up. When i put my trailer or my bike rack on i get similar problems.
When operating an indicator it will work depending on what mood it is in. A little wiggle of the plug and it will come on but the other one will go off. Sometimes it comes on and the other lights will dim.
This is what i have tested so far.
checked wiring in plug and socket all looks good.
Ran a wire from battery negative terminal round to the bike rack lights, opened light unit and removed earth wire, this caused the brake and side light to start flashing too. I used the wire that i attached to earth the light and all normal. replaced earth wire and all normal. Think the earth is ok.
Used a circuit tester to check for continuity at the socket. All pins beeped accept the indicators, i guess because this is an open circuit normally until operated.
Checked voltages at the socket using the sockets earth. All between 11v and 12v accept the fog light which was 6v, i don't understand that. it was bright enough.
I am losing patience with this so any help/advice will be greatfully recieved.
Tony
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Trailer Wiring problems

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:40 pm

It has all the hallmarks of an intermittent earth, but those sockets are very prone to dirty contacts as well, not unknown to have two or more faults at the same time! Is the Plug a plastic style one or has it got a metal shell ? The metal shells are more reliable.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi
Did you fit the towbar and electrics yourself?...I had a towbar fitting firm to fit ours before we came here as I was in a hurry...I have absolutely no idea how the darned electrics worked at all ....EVERY joint was scotchlocked :shock: ...
Anyway, I find trailer electrics are always worth dismantling at the plugs and sockets, cleaning, and re-assembling annually , as they always seem to play up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
Pipped me to it Geoff :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Post by thedogsbollox » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:11 pm

Both the trailer and bike rack have plastic plugs. Everything works if you push the plug right in and hold it in a certain spot. Socket is new. Plug is old. I opened up the pins with a screwdriver to get better purchase inside the pins/sockets.
g8dhe wrote:It has all the hallmarks of an intermittent earth, but those sockets are very prone to dirty contacts as well, not unknown to have two or more faults at the same time! Is the Plug a plastic style one or has it got a metal shell ? The metal shells are more reliable.
thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Post by thedogsbollox » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:12 pm

I did re-fit the electrics myself, they were scotchloked and i removed them and soldered them up.
helen&tony wrote:Hi
Did you fit the towbar and electrics yourself?...I had a towbar fitting firm to fit ours before we came here as I was in a hurry...I have absolutely no idea how the darned electrics worked at all ....EVERY joint was scotchlocked :shock: ...
Anyway, I find trailer electrics are always worth dismantling at the plugs and sockets, cleaning, and re-assembling annually , as they always seem to play up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
Pipped me to it Geoff :lol:
Cheers
Helen
thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Post by thedogsbollox » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Where i spliced into the lighting wires behind the light cluster, i joined the earth wire to the existing loom, should i have earthed it to the body?
Whilst testing trailer lights i did notice that the earth pin on the plug was very warm. It is carrying a lot of lights though. 4x running lights. 2x Brake/side/indicator clusters at sides. 2x Brake/side/indicator/Fog clusters at bottom.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi
It should have it's own earth
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Provided the Earth you used is adequate in terms of current of original circuit and new circuits, then no problem using an existing one. The fact that the Earth pin on the connector was getting warm suggests that still needs attention if its warm enough to feel then its dropping significant volts. Simplest check is as you did before use a thick wire from -ve terminal of battery but don't remove existing earth just add the "new" earth if the problem is resolved then you have found the problem, the original earth needs attention (disconnecting existing earth wires can cause other problems to appear!)
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:09 pm

Once you have it sorted OK get a can of squirty Waxoyl and give both the socket and plug a really good dose of it inside round the terminals. I've found this will keep the corrosion at bay if you do it each year.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:26 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of trailer electrickery. :lol:
thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Post by thedogsbollox » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:13 pm

First try will be to replace the plug and socket with metal ones. Ordered and will be on this week. Will keep you posted.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”