Battery charging

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Observer
Bongolier

Battery charging

Post by Observer » Sat May 04, 2013 1:47 pm

Hi Folks I've had the LB on charge overnight with a regular type of charger. I have disconnected both leads. The meter on the charger has gradually gone down towards 1 but not quite there yet.
I would like to know if the inbuilt charge indicator on the battery is reliable or not. It used to show 'green' at all times. I have had some residual drain but that is now cured. My multi meter (volts) is reading 13.8 after a rest period so, how will I know if it is full?

Pete
My iPhone - My office
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Re: Battery charging

Post by Dodgey » Sat May 04, 2013 2:30 pm

13.8v after a rest period (at least 5 mins) is full. The colour indicator in the battery is physical - it depends on the chemical state of the electrolyte - so it can't lie - unless it gets stuck - it is a floating object.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
Observer
Bongolier

Post by Observer » Sat May 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Thanks Dodgey, when on site and using the Lidl smart charger which I have 'hard wired', would it be best to take off one of the main leads? I suppose the same question would apply to a solar setup.
My iPhone - My office
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Sat May 04, 2013 3:35 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by on site - do you mean hooked up to mains? Does your van have a Zig unit or similar?. It depends on the other electrics in your van. But... in all cases....

- Solar - regardless, always leave it connected - it charges your battery and does not drain it.
- Lidl charger - if you leave it connected to the battery then there is probably little to no drain when it's powered off. Can't do any harm.
Observer
Bongolier

Post by Observer » Sat May 04, 2013 4:06 pm

Dodgey wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by on site - do you mean hooked up to mains?
I meant on hookup
Dodgey wrote: Does your van have a Zig unit or similar?.
No, Big LB and Willinton kit
Dodgey wrote: It depends on the other electrics in your van.
Not sure what you mean by this
Dodgey wrote: But... in all cases....- Solar - regardless, always leave it connected - it charges your battery and does not drain it.
- Lidl charger - if you leave it connected to the battery then there is probably little to no drain when it's powered off. Can't do any harm.
I never thought that the charger could caause a drain would this be even when turned off at the mains and unplugged? I know I have been loosing charge in the LB but thought it was the Chinese head unit.
My iPhone - My office
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Sun May 05, 2013 12:30 am

Ahh - I see why you want to know if you should remove one of the main leads when the battery is full - the answer is no. Both your Lidl charger and your solar charger will step down to trickle charge when your battery is full. This is a good thing and better than switching anything off. They won't "over charge" your battery.

p.s. some chargers have LEDs/displays that are powered from the battery they were charging and can drain the power a little when the mains is off.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”