Whale Sink Pump totally dead Any ideas

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Whale Sink Pump totally dead Any ideas

Post by New Forest Terrier » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:26 pm

I have a whale water pump in my conversion. Just started checking out the Bongo for the spring camping season and it is totally dead. Nothing, no noise, no pumping.

Has anyone any ideas on troubleshooting? They are fragile things, got through a couple in the past on caravans, but this one has not had much use.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Whale Sink Pump totally dead Any ideas

Post by g8dhe » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:30 pm

Switch on Zig or management system turned on? Fuse OK? After that its inspection and use a meter to locate the problem.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Similar thing used to happen in my caravan ..

Maybe frowned on by the techie guys ... but I reckon they seized from calcium build up and lack of use during the Winter .. I used to give them a sharp 'crack' that seemed to free it ... and from then worked OK ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:03 pm

switch the power on mary, or open the tap micro etc, then give it a couple of sharp taps,(no pun intended) that usually sorts em. :wink:

edit. beaten by mike :)
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Instructions followed. Two sharp taps given with tent peg hammer. Still dead. Power all OK. Micro switch in tap clicking audibly. Zig switched correctly. Fridge working fine.

So unless I can find a loose connection tomorrow its a new pump. These things always happen first camp of the season. Last year it was a dead leisure battery. So no water pump, fridge or lights once the Bongo was switched off. :twisted: :twisted:

All part of the joy of camping :lol: :lol:
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:42 am

Mine lasted less than a year - the pipe bIt got brittle in the cold and snapped off. I'm treating is as a consumable :-) especially at £10
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:13 pm

Update

Pool of water under Bongo this morning. Pump buzzing away. Obviously I did not turn it completely off last night. Turned off pump. Refilled water container, pump dead again.

The suspect has to be the microswitch, although it clicks away fine? Have I missed anything?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:28 pm

You might have connectors between the switch and the pump, also the earth for the pump itself might be intermittent.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:26 pm

take the tap top off mary, and have a play around they are prone to oxy---oxi---- furring up, give it a clean out they are really basic sprung contacts inside.
Terri & colin
Bongolier

Post by Terri & colin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:55 am

Iv got to replace my whale pump. The wires are ripped or snapped off, it's just easier to start again. Is it easy to refitted?
Terri [-o<
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:10 am

Very easy. On mine the microswitch on the tap was faulty as well, so I ended up replacing both. The tap was £20 from Chichester Caravans in Colden Common, the pump I got given, but same place or Towsure in Southampton.

I have a rear conversion so access was easy, with all electrics right inside the back door. Just disconnect one bit, fit replacment the same way. Only bit to watch was the pipe was held on with jubilee clips at tap and pump ends. These had rusted solid and had to be cut off. So get replacement clips when you get the pump. The tap is fitted at the side of the sink unit with a plastic screw fitting that should have been finger tight, but had been ferociously tightened, but it did come off in the end.

A side conversion could be more difficult as you need to get at the pump to remove it from the water tank and to the junction box to make the electrical connections. For the tap you need to get to the underside to remove it, plus the junction box for the electricals.
crazy uncle gray g
Supreme Being

Post by crazy uncle gray g » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:48 am

:-k Mary, I've found a cheaper alternative for you
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =266628806 :wink:
Am I helping? :D
cheers! party on dudes.
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:01 pm

Bit over the top for the washing up Crazy :roll: :roll:
shuttle
Bongonaut

Post by shuttle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:57 pm

Had the same thing happen to me at the weekend,pump completely dead.Took it back to Andys Imports on way back from campsite.He tried a new pump which also didn't work,feed into pump was ok so he said it was probably an earth problem,so got a new piece of wire and earthed it to the cigarette lighter earth.Problem solved.Hope this helps.

shuttle
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:41 pm

Yes the earth was the next thing I checked after looking for a loose connection. Conversion electrics are a bit of the make it up as you go along variety. I had an intermittent buzzing pump doing not a lot and when I replaced it, there was water being pumped but no reliable on or off on the switch. None of these electrical bits a have a very long lifespan.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”