interior strip light

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

junior
Bongonaut

interior strip light

Post by junior » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:32 pm

hi fellow bongoers. my little strip light in the boot on the roof in the middle doesnt seem to be very bright. i replaced the bulb last summer and everything seem to be fine then after a couple of months it semt to be quite dull so i took off the strip light cover and took out the bulb and in doing so one of the two pins on one end dropped down slightly. (not on the actual bulb but on the fitting). i pushed then pin back up and checked the others and put in the bulb and bingo. not long after, maybe a week and it went dim again and a black lump (size of a marble) appeared in the bulb, but it still glows semmy bright. Could there be a bad connection to the fitting? is all the lights on one circuit? probably a good possibility that the bulb is dying again but what is causing it to go ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. many thanks :(
jaylee
Supreme Being

Re: interior strip light

Post by jaylee » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:28 pm

junior wrote:Could there be a bad connection to the fitting?
Sounds like the connection pin to the circuit board in the lamp fitting has broken from its soldered point...?
An easy repair with a soldering iron..

The lamp is easily removed. Two screws hold it in place, (They can be seen when the lens/diffuser is removed) then just unclip the white connector.

It's a long time since i repaired mine, but i think there is a backing plate that unscrews to reveal the gubbins...
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
junior
Bongonaut

Post by junior » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:36 pm

junior wrote:hi fellow bongoers. my little strip light in the boot on the roof in the middle doesnt seem to be very bright. i replaced the bulb last summer and everything seem to be fine then after a couple of months it semt to be quite dull so i took off the strip light cover and took out the bulb and in doing so one of the two pins on one end dropped down slightly. (not on the actual bulb but on the fitting). i pushed then pin back up and checked the others and put in the bulb and bingo. not long after, maybe a week and it went dim again and a black lump (size of a marble) appeared in the bulb, but it still glows semmy bright. Could there be a bad connection to the fitting? is all the lights on one circuit? probably a good possibility that the bulb is dying again but what is causing it to go ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. many thanks :(

i will have a closer look and have a go at repairing it. many thanks
tonnee
Bongolier

Post by tonnee » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Mine was the same, just a dry joint on the bulb connections, resoldered it and all OK
1995 Bongo Auto Free Top 4WD

http://www.justgiving.com/tony-sahara

Return to “Techie Stuff”