Air-con in winter,well now actually............

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bongo??
Bongolier

Air-con in winter,well now actually............

Post by Bongo?? » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi all.
Just got a question about the Bongo air-con at this time of year.
I got in the van tonight and it was starting to mist up inside.
I switched the air-con on but the fans never cut in.
The van did de-mist as i went home from work and the fans were cutting in and out.
Is the fans not coming on immediately when turning the air-con on normal now the weather is cooler,they generally come on straight away,especially when it is warmer??
Any thoughts will be greatly recieved....
Thanks all......
Year 2000 V6
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Re: Air-con in winter,well now actually............

Post by Driver+Passengers » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:12 pm

Mine doesn't cut in - aircon compressor has an electronic clutch which should engage when the a/c button is pressed, and the rad fans too.

I think that there is a pressure switch in the system which will inhibit compressor/fans if the refrigerant is low. Aircon should be run regularly as there is a lubricant in the gas which stops seals degrading.

You may need to get yourself to an aircon engineer or call one out, who will pressure test the system for you.

I don't really know, but this is what I think I've read. It may be something else...?

Hope this helps,
Matt.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Bongo??
Bongolier

Post by Bongo?? » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:41 am

Hi.
Yeah,sorry,i was`nt too clear in my first post,what i should have said was that the compressor dos`nt engage straight away when the A/C button is pressed.
The A/C system was recently gassed,hope theres not a leak. :roll:
Year 2000 V6
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:51 am

Always seems strange that a lot of people think that the air conditioning is only for the summer just to blow out un heated / chilled air ..

I find this time of the year, with two humans and the two staffies the windows soon get steamed up particularly first thing in the morning , so I push in the middle left button for the windscreen demister (mine is the digital system) .. that automatically puts the air conditioning on and the heating fan at full speed .. clears the screen / interior in minutes ....
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:53 am

Might be wiring then, I can't really comment as I don't know that part of the system yet. Geoff or others may be able to suggest specific things to try.

I had problems with overheating and would occasionally turn the A/C on to force the rad fans on. Every now and again, nothing would happen - A/C light on, but no rise in revs and no fans. It worked again a couple of times, but not since.

If there's no joy with the wiring, perhaps get it checked again. Did he do a pressure test before refilling? Most do, I imagine.

Good luck! I'm putting off sorting mine out until Spring.

(Just read Mike's message - good point... maybe I'll get it done before then! :lol)
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:14 am

mikeWalsall wrote:Always seems strange that a lot of people think that the air conditioning is only for the summer just to blow out un heated / chilled air ..

I find this time of the year, with two humans and the two staffies the windows soon get steamed up particularly first thing in the morning , so I push in the middle left button for the windscreen demister (mine is the digital system) .. that automatically puts the air conditioning on and the heating fan at full speed .. clears the screen / interior in minutes ....
I agree, excellent for de-misting and I use it more that than keeping cool in this cr*p weather.
Bongo??
Bongolier

Post by Bongo?? » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:34 am

I use mine all the time,as you say it quickly de mists,i just find it strange that the compressor dosnt come on straight away when the A/C button is pressed,i'm pretty sure it used to.
Mind you it is set st 23 degrees so if the system had enough pressure in it the compressor may not need to come on strsight away?
PS,i have the digital climate control system.
Year 2000 V6
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:47 pm

That could well be the situation.
Check the usual things;
1. Do the Fans work, step thru the range using the Fan button, can you here the fans and feel the air blowing?
2. Check that the Flaps work on both sides, the Drivers side for direction the ait comes out in and the Passenger side for heat being let into the system
3. If any of the above aren't working check the plug on the back of the unit is fully plugged in.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:36 am

If someone has regassed it recently, the process is evacuate the system, then you pull a vacuum for at least 20 mins to check for any leaks. the system should hold the vaccuum if it does not it has a leak. If it does have a leak it is illegal to regas it as you are knowingly releasing refrigerant into the atmosphere. So if the guy has done his job it shouldnt of had a leak when he refilled it. I have known though if it holds a vacuum and someone puts too much gas back in it can blow the seals or any weak points in the system due to the increase in pressure.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
clutha
Bongolier

Post by clutha » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:28 pm

A cautionary tale re vacuum testing. I had it done on our last car during a re gas procedure. The machine used had to go through all the steps of vacuum leak test, re- pressure to low setting, then refill to correct pressure. After extreme hassle I found the vac test had pulled dust/dirt into 'o' rings in a plug on the condenser. I managed to remove plug and clean it all up, got the local garage just to refill system and all was well.

(Among other duties when offshore was fridge maintenance!) :lol:
Freda now gone, :-/ But nice wee Burstner obtained ;-)
http://www.gordonbickerton.co.uk
Bongo??
Bongolier

Post by Bongo?? » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:29 am

Hello all.
I can assure everyone that the system is correctly gassed and there are no leaks.
Using the air-con today the compressor and fans activated as soon as the A/C switch was pressed.
The only difference was that the outside temperature was a bit milder??
So,all seems fine i think??
Year 2000 V6
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:30 am

Bongo?? wrote:Hello all.
I can assure everyone that the system is correctly gassed and there are no leaks.
Using the air-con today the compressor and fans activated as soon as the A/C switch was pressed.
I remember this being discussed a long time ago on here and the experts saying it doesn't work until air coming into the system is warmer than the temperature at which the aircon can make it cooler. That could I suppose explain your observations. Worth a search of old posts perhaps, maybe even a Google?
Bongo??
Bongolier

Post by Bongo?? » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:34 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Bongo?? wrote:Hello all.
I remember this being discussed a long time ago on here and the experts saying it doesn't work until air coming into the system is warmer than the temperature at which the aircon can make it cooler. That could I suppose explain your observations. Worth a search of old posts perhaps, maybe even a Google?
Yeah,that makes sense,i'll have a ratch through older posts.....
Cheers for the help :wink:
Year 2000 V6

Return to “Techie Stuff”